Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vitali vs Tyson

Options
  • 24-03-2012 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭

I think Tyson has little to no chance against Vitali .Tyson struggled with big men and lost to them. Tyson always fought smaller men with lesser chins , and less ability than Vitali . Vitali became a dominant champion , and developed a record second to none . A prime Vitali has little chance of being outboxed by Tyson

I think Vitali beats Tyson nine times out of ten.

Who would win? 14 votes

Vitali
    0% 0 votes
    Tyson
    100% 14 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I reckon tyson wins this one, vitali isn't aggressive enough to beat tyson if you ask me, to beat tyson you have to play his game and be as aggressive to him as he would be to you, holyfield did this and proved that's what has to be done to beat him. I don't think vitali has it in him to be the aggressor in this fight.

Tyson by a 5-6 round KO if he kept the pressure on and didn't let vitali counter him too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭badabing106

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »

Tyson by a 5-6 round KO if he kept the pressure on and didn't let vitali counter him too much.

Vitali has a massive size , weight and reach/jab advantage. This is a massive advantage , especially if you happen to be one of the best fighters / boxers in the world ever. Tyson has a terrible record against bigger fighters .Vitali would be an experienced world champion with all the confidence in the world , and much bigger than any of his opponents. . Do you think Vitali is not a skillfull enough boxer to deal with Tyson? Why do you think he would be knocked out in the 6th round? you don't rate Vitali's chin ? ( he has never been on the floor in his entire career ) , Do you think Vitali would be too intimidated to fight Tyson? You don't think he has the power to trouble Tyson ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Vitali has a massive size , weight and reach/jab advantage. This is a massive advantage , especially if you happen to be one of the best fighters / boxers in the world ever. Tyson has a terrible record against bigger fighters .Vitali would be an experienced world champion with all the confidence in the world , and much bigger than any of his opponents. . Do you think Vitali is not a skillfull enough boxer to deal with Tyson? Why do you think he would be knocked out in the 6th round? you don't rate Vitali's chin ? ( he has never been on the floor in his entire career ) , Do you think Vitali would be too intimidated to fight Tyson? You don't think he has the power to trouble Tyson ?

Jesus! that's some amount of questions you're throwin at me there, it's just my opinion, it's up to you how you interpret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I think it would be much like the Tyson v Lewis fight with Tyson getting frustrated, people talking like Vitali is negative are basing it on a fight he had no jab and had to be conservative, Vitali is a finisher and looks for the finish everytime

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,185 ✭✭✭✭walshb

There is a poll already on this and I believe Tyson is ahead. Anyway, I have only ONE question for you. Where is this terrible record Tyson has against bigger men, considering that Tyson was nearly always the smaller man when in the ring?

• Advertisement

. Tyson always fought smaller men

Which Tyson did you follow?:confused:

walshb wrote: »
    Which Tyson did you follow?:confused:

I'd assume he means men smaller than Vitali, but in fairness same could be said for almost any heavyweights opponents.

cowzerp wrote: »
    I'd assume he means men smaller than Vitali, but in fairness same could be said for almost any heavyweights opponents.

Well interpreted, Paul.

That's fair enough if he did mean that. Who didn't fight smaller men than Vitali? I mean, Vit is unique in the history of this sport, apart from that sloth, Valuev.

He also says Tyson's record was terrible against bigger men. I just don't get it. Tyson usually always fought bigger men, and won, and won convincingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

The same Vitali that scraped past Derek Chisora? Hah! Tyson would have wrecked him.

I would hope that it's best vs. best. If so, we can only use Tyson from 1986-1989 IMO. Conversely, we should use Vitali at his peak, which was the early noughties, say 2002-2005.

If this is what we use, then the reference to Tyson in 2002 vs. Lewis is of no relevance whatsoever. Tyson was a complete shell at that stage of his career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

so vitali beats Ali? considering the who wins between Ali vs Tyson thread which seemed to cause a lot of indifference, would it not be fair to say Tyson wins every-time, unless he gets hungry and decides to feed off him.

dlofnep wrote: »
    The same Vitali that scraped past Derek Chisora? Hah! Tyson would have wrecked him.

That's not really fair, Vitali was fighting without proper use of his left arm, rendering his best punch the jab obsolete, and he still made easy work of Chisora.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

IMO the Tyson that KO'd Spinks beats Vitali.

The reason I think it will go the distance (most of the time) is because fighters like Mitch Green and Tony Tucker where able to go the distance with him. But they hung on for dear life to last the full 12, will Vitali do the same? If Vitali wants a proper fight, Tyson gets him out IMO.

That's not really fair, Vitali was fighting without proper use of his left arm, rendering his best punch the jab obsolete, and he still made easy work of Chisora.

I wasn't aware his arm was injured. I don't think he made easy work of Chisora, I think Chisora put the heat on him. If it had of been 15 rounds, Chisora could have ended him. I really believe that.

But fair enough, Vitali of a few years ago - more in his prime - I still think Tyson would take him. Too explosive.

dlofnep wrote: »
    I wasn't aware his arm was injured. I don't think he made easy work of Chisora, I think Chisora put the heat on him. If it had of been 15 rounds, Chisora could have ended him. I really believe that.

But fair enough, Vitali of a few years ago - more in his prime - I still think Tyson would take him. Too explosive.

He injured his shoulder in the 1st round-thats why he barely jabbed the whole fight.

Ah right.. That happens in matches I guess..

I'd love to see Vitali fight Seth Mitchell. He is at least as good as Chisora who got a shot, and much better than Mormeck who fought a Klitschko.

I'd love to see Vitali fight Seth Mitchell. He is at least as good as Chisora who got a shot, and much better than Mormeck who fought a Klitschko.

Could be a future fight of he keeps winning, fighting American chaz Witherspoon 28th April, Mitchell's only decent opponent so far was ibragimov who he stopped in the 2nd-he's yet to move into 12 round fights so will need a few of them realistically to be in with fighting 1 of the bro's.

IMO the Tyson that KO'd Spinks beats Vitali.

The reason I think it will go the distance (most of the time) is because fighters like Mitch Green and Tony Tucker where able to go the distance with him. But they hung on for dear life to last the full 12, will Vitali do the same? If Vitali wants a proper fight, Tyson gets him out IMO.

Vitali with the experience of being a dominating World champion , always plays to his considerable strengths . He never goes looking to out brawl anybody. Why would he. He would use all his talent and size advantage , along with his soul destroying slab of jab ,to ware down and demoralise Tyson, like he does every opponent . Vitali is not the kind of boxer to get outfazed ( like alot of Tysons opponents). He would have loved the challenge to fight a Tyson , and he would have excelled.

Vitali with the experience of being a dominating World champion , always plays to his considerable strengths . He never goes looking to out brawl anybody. Why would he. He would use all his talent and size advantage , along with his soul destroying slab of jab ,to ware down and demoralise Tyson, like he does every opponent . Vitali is not the kind of boxer to get outfazed ( like alot of Tysons opponents). He would have loved the challenge to fight a Tyson , and he would have excelled.

But Tyson wouldn't allow Vitali to get comfortable. Tyson was never a gentleman in the ring and would rush Vitali constantly.

• Advertisement

But Tyson wouldn't allow Vitali to get comfortable. Tyson was never a gentleman in the ring and would rush Vitali constantly.

You have to remember that Vitali has alot of the advantages .Yes, Tyson is an all time great , with the ability to knock out almost all of the boxers he faces! That is exactly what Vitali would have expected and trained religiously for. I don't think Tyson would be comfortable getting wiped with a powerful jab in every round. Having a 30 ilbs more musuclar man leaning on him , a talented boxer who can fight as well as box with a proven granite chin. I think Tyson would get frustrated fighting someone like Vitali and lose in the end

You have to remember that Vitali has alot of the advantages .Yes, Tyson is an all time great , with the ability to knock out almost all of the boxers he faces! That is exactly what Vitali would have expected and trained religiously for. I don't think Tyson would be comfortable getting wiped with a powerful jab in every round. Having a 30 ilbs more musuclar man leaning on him , a talented boxer who can fight as well as box with a proven granite chin. I think Tyson would get frustrated fighting someone like Vitali and lose in the end

I doubt there would be 30lbs worth of difference, Vitali has been fighting at around 242 lately. I say Tyson would be around 220-222 lbs.

BTW how do you know Vitali could hit Tyson with the jab "in every round". Tyson would have been an expert at Vitali miss with the jab, and making him pay for it. Plus would the fight have gone the distance?

Regards Vitali's chin, Tyson ko'd Holmes, the only time he was KO'd in his entire 75 fight career. Holmes faced Shavers twice and went the distance both times. He took a mammoth shot from Shavers and hit the floor, but was able to get up and fight back. IMO Holmes had a granite chin too, but didn't last with Tyson. I know Holmes was older at 38, but his chin was the same as when he fought Shavers.

Vitali never faced a fighter with the same ferocity, speed, combinations and power as Tyson. Tyson was also a superb body puncher and Vitali's torso would make a big target. Plus as I said, Tyson wasn't a gentleman in the ring, he'd rush Vitali and I say Vitali would find that unsettling.

Tyson wasn't a gentleman in the ring, he'd rush Vitali and I say Vitali would find that unsettling.

That would be the best way to get yourself knocked out versus Vitali-would make his job much easier than having to stalk and hunt down lads not willing to engage.

Of course Tyson could KO him, like he potentially could any fighter ever if he connects full on-i don't think he'd land clean enough to Ko him though so can't see it.

BTW how do you know Vitali could hit Tyson with the jab "in every round". Tyson would have been an expert at Vitali miss with the jab, and making him pay for it. Plus would the fight have gone the distance?

I was thinking this too. Vitali has a powerful jab, but he paws a lot too. And, Tyson was very adept at bobbing and weaving and closing the distance to get in range. I would say an Ali, Holmes, Liston and Bowe's jab as jabs that would bother Tyson more. Faster, more fluid and used more, with more consistency.

That would be the best way to get yourself knocked out versus Vitali-would make his job much easier than having to stalk and hunt down lads not willing to engage.

But is isn't in Vitali's nature to go for the KO. In the early rounds he used the jab to gain points. The early rounds is when Tyson is at his most dangerous.

But is isn't in Vitali's nature to go for the KO..

Yes it is.

In the early rounds he used the jab to gain points. The early rounds is when Tyson is at his most dangerous.

He doesn't use it to gain points only, he uses it to try find an opening usually against fighters who won't engage-this would not be the case with Tyson, Vitali is a finisher and always looks for the KO, as soon as the opportunity arises and with Tysons style that would be from the outset.

Tyson will get hit full on by Vitali and it's then a matter of if he can take it or not, Tyson had a solid chin so might take 1 full on but will he take 50 throughout a 12 round fight? i don't think so.

He can't in my opinion outscore Vitali, he has to win by Ko. Vitali can win either way just as easily.

Advertisement