Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Afghanistan

Options
  • 23-03-2012 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,598 ✭✭✭✭

I know there is a 20/20 qualifier thread, but think the achievement of Afghanistan needs a thread on its own - since I can remember all I remember Afghanistan in the news for, was for war or tragedy - surprised yesterdays achievement got so little mainstream news - their supporters were great - delighted for them

to me the achievement was what makes sport so special

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Theyve been very good for some time now and I think its a fantastic story. I remember seeing a while back that the country seems to really all get behind their cricket team, and I think its great that cricket is able to inject a positive into such a troubled country. Long may their success continue.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Its great to see alright and its a pity they havent received any real media attention over the last couple of years. I remember a few articles about them when they qualified for the last tournament but nothing since then, which is such a shame when you read so many negative articles about the poor country every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

the problem for Afghanistan is that they haven't played much to help them stay in the public eye. They're a very good side probably the only associate team who would be a match for Ireland with both sides at full strength. Hopefully they can make it to the next 50 over world cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

There was a programme on the BBC I think about Afghanistan Cricket. I saw a bit of the end but their story is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭barrera

I think there's been quite a lot of coverage about them, relatively speaking.

However, what I like most about their emergence is that you have a genuine and strong rivalry for Ireland at Associate level. There always seems to be a bit of needle between the teams. The I-Cup and CWC qualifier games vs Afghanistan in Dublin this summer should be well worth going to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

Out of the ashes is the name of the documentary about the afghan team

Advertisement