Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New forum request

Options
  • 23-03-2012 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭

This is the proposal

Triathlon forum
    • Events subforum
    • Gear subforum
    • Training Logs subforum
    • Adventure Racing subforum
    • Duathlon subforum

Shotgunmcos to be the moderator

Thank this post to agree, post below if you think it's a bad idea/needs to be changed.

Assuming there's some sort of consensus by Monday, I'll put a request in then.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Does Duathlon really need a subforum?

I can understand ARs having a subforum.

What about Aquathlon?

:)

I'd support everything else though!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭dquirke1

Likewise, I dont really think duathlon needs a subforum.
    Other than that, it sounds good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I agree Duathlon should be lumped in with Triathlon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Ya duathlon and aquathons part of triathlon forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

It all looks good to me !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

22 people have thanked theop.Some of them are not tri...Yeah, going to busy here this tri forum.

How do you decide who is and isn't "tri"?

Amz wrote: »
    How do you decide who is and isn't "tri"?

I think it's something to do with a fetish for carbon and bling. ;)

Oh, well then I'm just tri-curious.

Amz wrote: »
    Oh, well then I'm just tri-curious.

Does that mean you tri anything once?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Jeez, now I know why I don't do triathlons, it's far too complicated for me, I stick to running.

Q. How many different threads does it take to get a separate triathlon forum?

A. Is does not matter, cos it's the admins who get to decide anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

dna_leri wrote: »
    Jeez, now I know why I don't do triathlons, it's far too complicated for me, I stick to running.

Q. How many different threads does it take to get a separate triathlon forum?

A. Is does not matter, cos it's the admins who get to decide anyway.

Agree 100%, this is pathetic. There's obvious user support already, no need to mull this proposal for weeks more self-important rubber stamping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Raycun i know you are only following process but really this is just stupid red tape bull.sh1t and ivory tower stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Raycun i know you are only following process but really this is just stupid red tape bull.sh1t and ivory tower stuff.

In fairness to the admins etc, part of the problem is that none of us (well, not me anyway :) ) looked up the process before.
    Anybody could have put in a request months ago, without any discussion on here at all.

RayCun wrote: »
    In fairness to the admins etc, part of the problem is that none of us (well, not me anyway :) ) looked up the process before.
    Anybody could have put in a request months ago, without any discussion on here at all.

I looked up the process before. There was a request put in for a Tri forum in 2007- when it was set up, it was set up as Triathlon/marathons, with no polls or requests or popular support for this (no reflection meant on the moderator at the time). When I put up a poll here, it was because it had already been discussed and set up. This is different to having to show groundwork support for a totally new forum- its been messed around with for years, and this current 6-week nonsense is just more messing.

Additionally, it would have been very underhand to put in a request for a new forum, without any discussion, when Triathlon already exists as part of A/R/T, as you suggest. There's a clear desire to set up a standalone Trialthon forum (its not a new forum per se), its been discussed already, polled already, there's support for it, a knowledgeable moderator who has the respect of the userbase... the Tri subforum was meant to be an experiment to see how things went, and the conclusion is a standalone forum is wanted. With the start of the Tri racing season just about upon us, why can't a switch just be flicked, to facilitate the forum users?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

In Fairness guys, either one of you regulars or I in particular could have kicked this off a good while back since the sub forum was created. I was going to let the sub forum sit for a few months (at least until race season was well under way) to suggest a clean break but hey DeePop beat me to it. Perhaps the request could have gone to Admin then and some smart thinking could have linked it all together. We would probably have in excess of 20+ +1's on each of the requests by now. Alas it was not to be and fair play to RayCun for picking up the flailing baton and running with it. (Edit: FWIW Kudos to DeePop for breaking the ice!)

The process is what it is at Admin level and there are ways to give out about it. I accept some responsibility here for not jumping in, doing the research on the process and creating the awarenss when this topic arose.

So right now, its just about getting the approval in so we can set up the new Forum and get on with things as they have mainly been 'getting on' to date :) About 8 +1s on each request so far...

When the Forum is created we can set up a Poll on predicting the next 10 from the Running Forum to cross to the dark side as well, its just more fun over here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

When the Forum is created we can set up a Poll on predicting the next 10 from the Running Forum to cross to the dark side as well, its just more fun over here :D

No way, you guys are getting locked up behind an iron carbon fibre curtain :D

and fair play to RayCun for picking up the flailing baton and running with it.

+1 to this, and in case I'm coming across as critical to you Ray, I'm not meaning to be at all. Having had to deal with the turgid Boards rules and Admins before, I know how Kafkaesque their workings are. It's a lot easier from this side of the fence to criticize them, and its a lot more fun in general, than being a moderator:D

The downside here, is there's a clear need and desire for something that's going to happen anyway, once whoever of the powers that be decide to give the public what they are looking for. 6 weeks waiting for a known outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The reality is that if you don't like the red-tape on boards, there is nothing to stop anyone from installing the freely available phpBB software and setting up your own independent forum, with your own rules and your own moderators. Boards is not some kind of open community forum, even if the perception is there. It's a commercial enterprise, with paid employees, revenue targets and all of the wonderful bureaucracy that comes with it.

If you want to go play in somebody else's sandbox, you have to be prepared to play by their rules or else get busy building your own sandbox, where you can rule over all your minions with an iron fist. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

The reality is that if you don't like the red-tape on boards, there is nothing to stop anyone from installing the freely available phpBB software and setting up your own independent forum, with your own rules and your own moderators. Boards is not some kind of open community forum, even if the perception is there. It's a commercial enterprise, with paid employees, revenue targets and all of the wonderful bureaucracy that comes with it.

If you want to go play in somebody else's sandbox, you have to be prepared to play by their rules or else get busy building your own sandbox, where you can rule over all your minions with an iron fist. :)

I actually thought about that the other day. Surprised there isn't a big Irish tri forum.

• Advertisement

Sorry dude, the amount of bullsh!t effort I put in behind the scenes to help out around this section of Boards.ie gives me the right to criticize that bureaucracy. Its something I happen to know an awful lot about, from experience. My opinion (which I can give far more freely as a member than as a moderator) is there are growing layers of red tape which exist for no better reason than to make someone higher up feel authoritative.

Remember the "No Medical Advice" Commandment, meaning a lot of users can't share injury advice? I spent months back-and-forth with Admins, trying to get it slightly relaxed for a forum like ours. After an eternity, it was decreed that we could discuss injuries in a very limited way, so long as no medical claims or advice was given. A little later, the financial arm of Boards.ie were selling magical bracelets which they claimed would boost your immune system... very frustrating, and it left me in little doubt about who the rules were for on this forum. Thankfully though, Boards is strong enough to allow complaint and criticism of its redtape and rules, and no doubt they'll survive my little storm in a teacup, without the need for me to buy my own bucket and spade just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

are we there yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I take your point D'pop. You have volunteered your time (while I clearly haven't!), so are very entitled to voice your opinion, but that's not what my comment related to. It's the general assumption that boards has everyone's best interests at heart and that everyone has a divine right to get that which is fair and just, where in reality (as you saw with the magic bracelet incident) it really doesn't. Whether something is fair, just and sensible is largely irrelevant.

I threw in my +1s for the tri forum, as in my mind it is a standalone sport rather than an off-shoot of running/athletics, not because of what happens on the running forum (goody-bags, elitism, mini marathon debates), which in my mind seems completely illogical. If the reason is to split off from a parent forum that one finds distasteful and one feels passionate about it, then the appropriate action would seem to be to create one's own space, rather than just change the hierarchy of how it appears in the menu system on boards.ie.

But that's enough off-topic cynicism from me. I'll get back into my running box. Might actually go for a cycle this evening too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

But that's enough off-topic cynicism from me. I'll get back into my running box. Might actually go for a cycle this evening too.

Can't do that. Where will you put the clothes that live on your bike? :)

Advertisement