Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maybe moving from Asics to Brooks?

Options
  • 23-03-2012 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

I’m thinking of getting a new pair of shoes. So far, I’ve been wearing the Asics Gel Landreth and getting on well with them. I’ve also tried the Asics Gel Nimbus and didn’t like them – I think there may have been too much cushioning, and maybe the arch support was in the wrong place, anyway, I ended up with sort of a cramp in my right arch and shin after wearing them.
    I really like the Landreth, but they’re not quite perfect, sometimes I feel like my right heel is shifting around, or my arch is in the wrong place. (I've been wearing the Landreth since autumn 2012, alternating two pairs, one newer, summer 2011, and they really don't seem to have worn much at all (the soles, anyway))
    I did the ‘shoefinder’ thing in Runner’s World and they recommended quite a lot of Brooks shoes for someone of my weight & mileage (female, 117 lb / 20-25 miles per week approx). Has anyone changed from Asics to Brooks, is the sizing the same? I don’t want to go neutral or minimal, but I would not mind a bit less cushioning & maybe a bit more room for my right foot to settle down & get comfortable.
    I was thinking of the Brooks Ghost. Has anyone tried them or would another Brooks style be better for me?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

The Brooks Ghost would be a good option from the Landreth or Cumulus. The big sister, Brooks Glycerin, is similar to the ASICS Nimbus and you may feel that there is too much cushioning for your liking.

I would suggest the Saucony Triumph 9 as an option to consider. Lower heel proflie, your foot will sit closer to the road and the forefoot is spacious giving your toes a nice bit of space to spread out. The feel of the shoe would be close the the Landreth too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Thanks very much! I love your shop, by the way, I am in Dublin but I stopped in on the way back from last year's Burren Challenge & bought a very, very useful little stretchy waist pack that I use all the time, running home from work etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

I have 2 pairs of shoes in use at the moment - the Brooks Ghost and Saucony Triumph and I'm very happy with both of them. Before switching to Brooks, my previous shoe was an Asics gel nimbus. I liked them, but switched as my 2nd pair of Nimbus gave me nasty blisters and took an age to break in.

I'd have no worries at all about switching from Asics to Brooks or Saucony - they both make very good shoes and I find them both to be a more comfortable fit than the Asics. In terms of which Brooks etc to pick - call in to a good running shop and try them on!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

Op, maybe consider the Nike LunarGlide range as well. The fit of the shoe is very snug, kinda like a sock inside the shoes. Some people like this others dont. They are quite light but are also bouncy and cushiony...

I used to have Saucony Triumphs 6 and found them heavy, and not very flexible...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Thanks everyone! Went to AK in Bray today & tried on the Brooks Ghost, the Saucony Triumph & the Asics Nimbus. Went for the Brooks as they seemed to have the widest toe area. (My very kind husband bought them for me).
    I always find it so hard to run normally when I'm being filmed in shoes! But hopefully I've found the perfect pair. They feel nice walking around the house -- they don't have the upward curve on the outside front edge that I felt my foot was leaning on in the Asics. think the Asics are just a bit narrower.

I will try them out tomorrow.

Thanks again!

• Advertisement
Advertisement