Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[GEAR] - new cleats on new shoes

Options
  • 23-03-2012 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭

Right - you have brand new bike shoes. Same model and make but 5 years on from present show. I want the exact same (relative) cleat positioning on new as old.

Any tips or tricks? I bought the shoes over a year ago and haven't used as puzzled as to a time efficient effective wear of doing this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

I changed mine, measured from the outside edges (and tip) of the shoe to the edges of the cleat like so, seemed to be the easiest/quickest way of getting it

68sak6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Use chalk from an old style puncture repair kit. Dust all round the cleat, carefully remove old cleat and presto you've an outline for the new.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Use chalk from an old style puncture repair kit. Dust all round the cleat, carefully remove old cleat and presto you've an outline for the new.

Reread the first sentence of my OP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

tunney wrote: »
    Reread the first sentence of my OP :)

Oh buggery your'e changing the shoe..:o

Well in that case, I'd do this

Or a profile comb from a local hardware shop could help take the relative position of the cleat and transfer to the new shoe, as a template.AK63.V2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭griffin100

Loads and loads of photos on your camera phone and then keep comparing old with new........or at least that's how I do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KentuckyPete

Use a vernier callipers to measure the distance from the edge of the holding screws (holding the cleat in position) to the end of the aperture in the cleat. Measure each screw distance and replicate in the new shoe.

vernier-callipers.jpg

Record the measurements while you're at it. Then you can quickly fix the problem if the cleats slip in future.

Also, to really freak out the guy setting up beside you, you can get out the calipers and measure the cleat position while setting up at the rack before the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Went through something similar a while ago.

Got new tri shoes and was moving cleats over.
    Measured and angled as best I could.
    Fitted and thought correct but ultimately wasn't.
    Realised and spent next couple of turbos hopping off, adjusting, back on etc.

Ultimately came to what feels right whilst following fit principals of:
    - straight foot
    - drop weight on string from knee test
    - feeling right and no pain/tweaks elsewhere (this the tricky part)
    - power responding/feel in tune

I found even a slight tweak upset muscle in other areas and became in tune to what suits me and yielded best results in terms of feel, technique, power and not causing issues elsewhere.

So trial and error in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Jeez, reading this thread makes me feel like I should go adjusting my cleats... When I got mine, I just screwed them on so they looked straight, and haven't looked at them since :o So much to learn...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

When I changed shoes the shop used a template to fit the cleats. A hundred times better than they way I had the old shoes set.

You could try a blue Peter method. Take one cornflakes box. Place old shoe on cardboard and draw around. Cut out shape leaving hole. Put sole through hole and mark key position points of cleat on card. Put new shoe into same hole and use marks to position cleat. Repeat the whole shebang for the other shoe. Ya never know. It could work.

Advertisement