Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

take a look

Options
  • 23-03-2012 2:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭

upper market st. is turning a derelict place ..i.e broken doors patched up, there is only one original resident left.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

poppyvally wrote: »
    upper market st. is turning a derelict place ..i.e broken doors patched up, there is only one original resident left.

Its a disgrace, the shopkeepers should equally bare responsibility for the way the town looks.... and landlords holding vacant premises to let should be banned from putting up "to let" signs... an utter eye sore and total unnecessary as no body is going to respond to a physical sign as most advertising is done via papers and websites anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

What would help is the council dropping rates and landlords dropping rents.
    Then we'd need a few events to get people into town, show that Ennis is an interesting and nice place to hang out, everytime there is something on, people do come to town, the long term car park at Glor actually offers one hour free parking, which is a great thing and an important step forward.
    Let's hope there's some movement on all that, otherwise Ennis will just end up derelict.
    You can't blame businesses for leaving and landlords trying to let places, unless there's some serious efforts to get people and businesses back into town, things will only get worse.
    And if all those empty shops are just painted up, you'll end up with something like Bunratty Folk Park, nice looking, but all empty facades.
    It'll be a mausoleum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

When u see peats in Dublin closing for the very same reasons its not only is Ennis thats in trouble but the retail sector in every other town and city.

Upward only rental agreements and the same trend in council/udc rates are not helpful and the population who would have disposable income are gone to greener shores.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

ger664 wrote: »
    When u see peats in Dublin closing for the very same reasons its not only is Ennis thats in trouble but the retail sector in every other town and city.

Upward only rental agreements and the same trend in council/udc rates are not helpful and the population who would have disposable income are gone to greener shores.

The problem is that the governments only course of action is to hike taxes and charges. When that doesn't work, hike taxes and charges. If it all goes to sh*t, hire a group of consultants who will most likely recommend hiking taxes and charges.
    And eventually they will stand over the ruin of the country, tearing their hair out, wailing "We cannot understand how this could have happened, we did everything right!"
    I normally wouldn't care, but I got capital tied up in my house and it's not a seller's market.
    If things get worse I might just have to take the hit and sell up for less (not in negative equity, thank God), that's if I can sell.
    If it wasn't for people trapped in their property, thousands more would have gone already.
    It will be like the good old days soon, where people just abandon their property, as thousands of derelict cottages around the countryside can attest, and head for greener shores.
    Why can't this country work?

Advertisement