Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHV Nearly up....

Options
  • 23-03-2012 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

My first year WHV is almost complete, and unfortunately never did my regional work:(. Do you have to leave Australia the day your visa expires. I have heard you can stay 28 days after the date your visa expires as long as you are not working?? can anyone shed any light on this...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

My first year WHV is almost complete, and unfortunately never did my regional work:(. Do you have to leave Australia the day your visa expires. I have heard you can stay 28 days after the date your visa expires as long as you are not working?? can anyone shed any light on this...

Maybe immigration can ....
    http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/
    Extending Your Stay

To remain longer in Australia than your original visa allows, you are required to obtain another visa. If you want to remain in Australia for tourism or recreational purposes or to visit family or friends, you may apply for a Tourist visa.

Generally, as a holder of a Visitor visa or Working Holiday visa you can only extend your stay in Australia so that the total duration of your stay is 12 months or less, unless there are exceptional circumstances. If you hold a Visitor or Working Holiday visa which allows you to stay in Australia for 12 months, you should contact your nearest Australian visa office before applying for a Tourist visa.

You should also note that a further visa, if granted, will cease any visa or ETA currently held and the entitlements attached to that visa or ETA.

Officially you leave when your holiday is up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Immigration once upon a time gave me an extra 28 days as my WHV expired on xmas day. I could not find affordable flights. You do need to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CHasethesun

Thanks for the Feeback guys. Appreciate it!

Looking for an extra few weeks to do some travelling. Fingers crossed i can get the vistor visa:)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,170 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Zambia wrote: »
    Immigration once upon a time gave me an extra 28 days as my WHV expired on xmas day. I could not find affordable flights. You do need to ask.
    You landed on xmas day the year previous?

No Nov 25th I went home for month so got that month back.

Ergo Dec 25th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,170 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Was the month back under an old rule or extenuating circumstances.
    I don't mean to pry, I just have a friend trying to get back time lost due to going home.

I basically just went into DIAC in Sydney back in the late 90's with a few airline quotes.

I could not get a reasonably priced flight home at the time. I was granted the extra Month.

I tried again the next month for another month extension and was politely reminded of my deadline and that I had my one extension. Basically you don't have to go home but you cant stay here sort of thing.

Advertisement