Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ducato timing belt interval

Options
  • 22-03-2012 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

2002 ducato 2.8jtd... There's only 10k on the belt but it's 5 years now.
    Should I change it???
    I'd be doing this myself...
    Are there good markings on the crank and cam pulleys on these?

I take it pump ain't timed as common rail...any pitfalls etc ( other than the obvious!!)

Cheers
    Marty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

yes , you should . Good marking on the cam , the crank not so easy , I use a pin into the flywheel at TDC . I can do one in under 2 hours at a push . Bit more awkward on RHDs and ones with Air Con . I'd change the tensioner and idler pulley too , and the tensioner arm needs to be inspected .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    yes , you should . Good marking on the cam , the crank not so easy , I use a pin into the flywheel at TDC . I can do one in under 2 hours at a push . Bit more awkward on RHDs and ones with Air Con . I'd change the tensioner and idler pulley too , and the tensioner arm needs to be inspected .

Cheers...yeah will do idler and tensioner anyway.
    You say tensioner arm??.. I'm not familiar with this.

On the aux belt...anything to watch for here??..usual idler and tensioner to be inspected here too I guess.
    Thanks a mill
    Marty

the floating arm the tensioner pulley slides onto.

Aux pulley...no , simple and normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭niloc1951

While you are in that deep why not consider a new water pump also for the sake of the extra few Euro. AFAIK its the same labour as the timing belt has to come off if it need replacing.

they just don't fail , in my experience .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    they just don't fail , in my experience .

Yeah not much to fail on the pump... If it's bearing feels rough I'll change it otherwise I'll leave well enough alone.

Actually Aidan... As this belt change is a time rather than mileage related one shouldn't I be safe to leave old tensioner and idler as they have only 10k done.
    It's the perishing of the belt I'm concerned with.
    Cheers
    Marty

They get
    pitted, i'd change them...

Advertisement