Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electricity in motorhome

Options
  • 22-03-2012 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

When I'm plugged into the electricity in my house, there doesn't seem to be a problem running any electrical appliance in my MH. But I heard something about going to a campsite, that the power that you plug into there is much lower rated and that you'd only be able to run max 1Kw device inside. Is that really the case? I'd be looking to run a kettle, toaster, fan heater (2Kw). Is there any issues there?
    The manual for my MH relating to the electrics is in German, so can't really figure it out there.

On a slightly related note - how long would a typical leisure battery last for if used for mainly lighting. No point paying 4/5 euro every night for electricity hooukup if the battery will do every 2nd or 3rd night. I know it depends on how new the battery is, and how much use its had - but roughly?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

many sites have trip switches at a lower rating than the house , to stop people taking the p1ss , running electrical heaters , cookers , toasters , etc etc , all night , when they're only paying a few Euro for it .

I stayed Saturday , Sunday and most of Monday in Strandhill , ran the heater and a good few lights a fair bit , and the battery was fine . I did run the engine for 20 mins Sunday .

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

thanks again aidan. Slowly getting used to MH, learning it bit by bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

kelbal wrote: »
    thanks again aidan. Slowly getting used to MH, learning it bit by bit!

You'll see the rating on the trip switch when you hook up usually.
    They seem to be 10amp in the places I've used in Ireland anyway.
    So. P = V*I ( power equals voltage by current)

So simply multiply say 10 amps by 220 volts , which gives 2200 watts..or 2.2 KW

So typically that's what you can get away with... All your appliances will be rated in watts so just add up what your using and don't exceed what you've got if that makes sense!!!!
    Cheers
    Marty.

Advertisement