Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Invalidity pension.

Options
  • 22-03-2012 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi,

I'm writing on behalf of a family member who found out today that their application for the invalidity pension had been refused on medicial grounds.

I was just wondering if it would be worth appealing this decision?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Yes you should appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

+1 Yes you should appeal if its valid

Have all your medical evidence collected etc
    I think they refuse everything as a matter of course these days
    Be prepared for a long long wait to get it dealt with

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

In yesterdays paper regarding social welfare appeals up to 50% were won.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2012/0322/ireland/huge-delay-in-decisions-on-welfare-appeals-187958.html

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dancer656

Thanks for the advice, it really is appreciated. She sent medical evidence from her G.P. and her consultant with the original application but still was rejected. She called to find out the medical grounds that she was refused on but was just told that the supervisor had to sign off on it and was given no more information. Seeing that some decisions have been overturned is something positive to focus on. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Egiap

Hi, How long before your family member heard back from Invalidity Pension? I applied in Oct'11 and have heard nothing yet. I have tried phoning and e-mailing but cant get answers. Also I did not send in any of my medical reports from my GP or consultant with my application as I thought they would have this information from the Illness Benefit section. Should I send them in now or wait until I'm asked for them? Tks

• Advertisement

Egiap wrote: »
    Hi, How long before your family member heard back from Invalidity Pension? I applied in Oct'11 and have heard nothing yet. I have tried phoning and e-mailing but cant get answers. Also I did not send in any of my medical reports from my GP or consultant with my application as I thought they would have this information from the Illness Benefit section. Should I send them in now or wait until I'm asked for them? Tks

Hi
    Well she applied around December. She is no longer receiving the illness benefit as the 2 year period is up so that could be the reason why she received the news so early. I don't know if you should send the medical notes in now, I don't want to give you bad advice. The only thing is that they probably sent a form to your GP to fill out about your illness and if the GP thinks you are fit to work or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 fiona5

i applied for invalidity penison in dec '10.as my illness benifit was up in feb '11,i was advised to apply for this.i was refused ,so i appealed this in june '11.i was sent for a medical in jan '12,which i had no problem with,but it turned out that the medical was for illness benifit and not the appeal,so therefore they refused this as this benifit was up in feb '11(which i knew).i rang them to ask how can this happen,i sent in all my medicl reports etc in again(which is the third time),i was told it would be at least 10-12 weeks before these go to the medical dept,can you belive that.so now i am waiting again to see if my appeal is granted,and by the way i have had no payment since feb '11.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭draward

what day is invalidity pension paid on.
    i am waiting for it and was told i have it just waiting for money.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

fiona5 wrote: »
    i applied for invalidity penison in dec '10.as my illness benifit was up in feb '11,i was advised to apply for this.i was refused ,so i appealed this in june '11.i was sent for a medical in jan '12,which i had no problem with,but it turned out that the medical was for illness benifit and not the appeal,so therefore they refused this as this benifit was up in feb '11(which i knew).i rang them to ask how can this happen,i sent in all my medicl reports etc in again(which is the third time),i was told it would be at least 10-12 weeks before these go to the medical dept,can you belive that.so now i am waiting again to see if my appeal is granted,and by the way i have had no payment since feb '11.

why have you had no payment, did you not go to the clinic. Im in the same boat as you and Im getting paid through the clinic while my appeal is going through, Im waiting 5 months so far for the appeal to go through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Mrs.H.K

Applied 30 April 2012, was refused 15 June.
    According to a medical assessor who I saw 8 months ago I am not permanently disabled eventhough I have a paralysed left foot and severe osteo arthritis, this will all go away again according to the assessor ??
    I am also just back out of hospital were I had the 3rd surgery on my spine also due to Osteo Arthritis.

I have requested a review of the situation with all medical evidence possible and a letter from my GP that I AM permanently incapable of work.
    When I phoned the invalidity section I was told it would take 6 months to get an answer about the requested review.

I have no income what so ever at the moment since 15 June, seriously thinking of taking this a lot further then just an appeal or a review request.
    I have worked for the Dutch Department of Social Welfare myself for over 12 years and I have never seen the likes of this, it is appalling.
    Maybe my next step will be contacting Brussels

A very angry and disappointed person :mad::mad:

• Advertisement

Mrs.H.K wrote: »
    Applied 30 April 2012, was refused 15 June.
    According to a medical assessor who I saw 8 months ago I am not permanently disabled eventhough I have a paralysed left foot and severe osteo arthritis, this will all go away again according to the assessor ??
    I am also just back out of hospital were I had the 3rd surgery on my spine also due to Osteo Arthritis.

I have requested a review of the situation with all medical evidence possible and a letter from my GP that I AM permanently incapable of work.
    When I phoned the invalidity section I was told it would take 6 months to get an answer about the requested review.

I have no income what so ever at the moment since 15 June, seriously thinking of taking this a lot further then just an appeal or a review request.
    I have worked for the Dutch Department of Social Welfare myself for over 12 years and I have never seen the likes of this, it is appalling.
    Maybe my next step will be contacting Brussels

A very angry and disappointed person :mad::mad:

My relative sought a review and was refused on the grounds that her osteo arthritis isn't that bad. She was told that all they required was an up to date letters so she had to attend her Consultant in order to get this letter. She had two letters (one from her GP and the other from her Consultant) that stated that she could no longer work but was refused. She has appealed the decision but there is little hope.

Their behaviour is absolutely disgraceful and after reading your post I am shocked and appalled. I too want to take it further but I have no idea about how I should approach it.

Dancer656 wrote: »
    My relative sought a review and was refused on the grounds that her osteo arthritis isn't that bad. She was told that all they required was an up to date letters so she had to attend her Consultant in order to get this letter. She had two letters (one from her GP and the other from her Consultant) that stated that she could no longer work but was refused. She has appealed the decision but there is little hope.

Their behaviour is absolutely disgraceful and after reading your post I am shocked and appalled. I too want to take it further but I have no idea about how I should approach it.

I agree Dancer, how are they able to go against medical advise from a GP AND a consultant, these medical assessors must be better doctors then our own GP's and consultants, they definaltely think they know more then they do. In my case my consultant is one of Irelands top neuro -surgeons but I suppose his opinion is all wrong.

Maybe we should take it to the European court or the radio and newspapers ? Or a sollicitor

Just wonder if we were politicians would we be treated like this too ??

As the forum charter clearly states, this is not the forum for this discussion.

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement