Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blender vs Handblender

Options
  • 22-03-2012 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hey all,
    Right going to start making soups and I like a nice smooth one. But I dont have a blender. Would you recommend getting a full stand blender or a hand blender?

And what are the benefits of having a glass jar over plastic for a stand blender?

Cheers All
    J
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

For soups – defo hand blender. Otherwise you’re pouring it in the other blender and pouring it back in, re-heating it etc etc. It all gets a bit messy. And possibilities of burning yourself are large! The hand blender option is just so much handier and cleaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

I've been down this road myself and have gone through about 5 blenders in the last 10 years. I have found my latest purchase (January 2011) the Cuisinart Professional Hand Blender to be my best buy so far. It was relatively expensive but I got it on a post Christmas half price sale. The stainless steel construction makes it heat resistant and easy to clean and it still looks and feels brand new over a year later. It came with a chopping attachment for creating purees dips and dressings, a balloon whisk and wire beaters for whisking and beating creams and egg whites and a stainless steel blending jug. I also blend directly in my stainless steel pot and have no concern over using it while the contents are still boiling hot.

The only drawbacks are that it is slightly heavy (about double the weight of my previous nylon/plastic blenders) and the surround on the blades would scratch or damage bowls, pots and pans made with a teflon, enamelled or plasticised construction.

The website also shows that they produce a soup maker. I have no idea how good it is or how versatile, but its recommended retail price is 40% more than that of the blender. If you need a blender/chopper/whisk then the one I have linked to does them all superbly for around €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

a hand blender is best for sure. ive had this one for a few years now http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4230591/Trail/searchtext%3EHAND+BLENDER.htm

it gets daily use and keeps easy. its metal so it works great even in boiling pots. it has a chopper attachment which is great for making pastes etc. id highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I have this one, which is quite similar to Curry Addicts.
    Between the three functions, it is used multiple times a week.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9349779/Trail/searchtext%3EPHILIPS+BLENDER.htm

I also have a stand blender and it was used about twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

Thanks all for the advice! Ended up getting this one,
    Russell Hobbs 'Allure
    As it was on sale. Now all I have to do is make the soup...

Advertisement