Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swallows nest?

Options
  • 22-03-2012 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Last year we had 2 swallows nests, one at the front of our house just under the eves next to the front door and one at the back just under the eves over a window. On further research it seems these may actually be housemartins because swallows prefer to nest in barns/big buildings or something, plus the nests appear to be made of mud or similar and I believe this could also indicate house martins - does anyone know if this is correct?

Also, is it too late this year to do something to deter them from nesting again? I don't mean to offend anyone by asking this, the thing is I'm terrified of birds and last year, I left the window open in the bedroom at the back near where the nest is and 2 of them flew into the house. Cue much screaming and hysteria from me (ridiculous behaviour from a grown woman, I know), I was then also terrified everytime I went out the front door. I don't want to do anything to harm them, the nests are still there we haven't touched them, husband says it doesn't look like there's any birds or anything in there yet, is it possible and is it too late to deter them for this year?

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

House Martins alright and given that they usually return to the same nest site year after year - after a journey of thousands of miles - it seems a bit mean to interfere with their nest site. Evening removing the nests will not necessarily stop them rebuilding but will make their lives a lot harder. Surely keeping your windows closed is not too much hardship for a couple of months. Net curtains would deter them from flying in. :)

housemartin_300_tcm9-139927_v2.jpg

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/h/housemartin/index.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Take down any old nests. Pin some coloured plastic bags under the eaves where they nest. The rustling will put the martins off.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

swallows nest in porches and on walls house martin style. Both make nud nests but swallows incorporate dead grasses. Swallows make a cup while house martins make a complete nest, filling what ever space is available, with a small entrance hole.

I'd love to have one or both nest on my house

Plastic strips look terrible! What's worse - plastic strips or a small nest. There is a house near me that gets ringed with shopping bags up and down the gables, along the eaves, up and down the gables and along the eaves.

You could use chain curtains that are used to keep flies out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

swallows nest in porches and on walls house martin style. Both make nud nests but swallows incorporate dead grasses. Swallows make a cup while house martins make a complete nest, filling what ever space is available, with a small entrance hole.

I'd love to have one or both nest on my house

Plastic strips look terrible! What's worse - plastic strips or a small nest. There is a house near me that gets ringed with shopping bags up and down the gables, along the eaves, up and down the gables and along the eaves.

You could use chain curtains that are used to keep flies out

any sand martins, swallows or swifts arrive up your way yet?

No I havent seen any yet. A friend in County Clare thinks he saw a swallow recently

• Advertisement

Just read that 3 House Martins were seen at Ballygawley Co.Tyrone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Be||e

Just read that 3 House Martins were seen at Ballygawley Co.Tyrone
    Excuse my ignorance but do you mean that it is early to be seeing house martins?

I live on the top floor of an apartment and last year there were what I assumed to be house martins nesting in the eaves just above my window.

They have been back in the last couple of weeks - I think I heard them for the first time two weeks ago. I saw one a couple of minutes ago in fact. :)

Is this some sort of record?? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

More likely House Sparrows if they are there for several weeks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Just above head height in my porch most years. Can't wait :)

youngSwallows2007.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Be||e

More likely House Sparrows if they are there for several weeks. :)

Thanks.

On further investigation, they appear to be starlings. There was some serious nest building going on this morning, close to my bedroom window. I got a good look at them for the first time and got a few photos.

F4CEFA349C3E4487B1A721130B1DA4AC-0000353790-0002790751-00800L-985595A49088451DB5ABC808F5585245.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DarkBlonde

We have a House Martin nest (or swallow but Im pretty sure its the House Martin) on our wall under the roof just outside our bedroom. They built it last year. I was wondering when they are going to return. They do keep us up half the night when they have new arrivals screeching for food but I think its great that they choose our house.

Is it too early for them to return yet? I could of swore I saw a pair scoping out the place the other day.

I think screech is a bit harsh for the twittering of house martins

Although there are house martins already in the country, which is very early, I wouldnt expect to see any around my house until late April

Mark

Advertisement