Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CTYI - abstract reasoning

Options
  • 21-03-2012 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi,

I would like to know any book or email site where I can see the abstract reasoning questions to assess my child whether he is fit for the test.

Any feedback would be helpful.

Thanks,

Atwal
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

There are some sample questions on the CTYI pages. What age is he?What has prompted you to think of CTYI? (Don't mean to come across all nosy, am a primary teacher with a particular interested in exceptionally able children)
    Have you had a look at giftedkids.ie ?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 atwal

Hi,

Thanks. My child is 6. I consider him to be very bright kid. I checked the sample verbal reasoning questions on the ctyi site and he was able to solve those. But there is none on the abstract reasoning. I found few on net but they seemed to be for the grown up. He made few mistakes in solving those. Since the CTYI exam fees and the CTYI classes are so expensive, So I wanted to make sure about my child's abilities before applying. So if you have any links or suggestion for books on the abstract reasoning then I would like to go through them with my child and then would consider the CTYI.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Assessment is about €45 and there is some finance available for classes though not much.Sorry not to be able to help with examples of the reasoning qs. I do know that any young child in our school who was accepted at that age tended to have most of the traits of children with exceptional abilty as listed on the giftedkids site and were early and excellent readers too. (And I don't mean Biff and Chip, we had a junior infant who was reading Harry Potter by Christmas!!)

If you "suspect" he is EA,I'd nearly try for the assessment anyhow. It might help open some doors for him at school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

atwal wrote: »
    Since the CTYI exam fees and the CTYI classes are so expensive,

You don't need to worry about the class fees unless he's accepted. For €45 you can have him assessed for eligibility for the course. He only needs to 'pass' one of the two tests for eligibility. 'Passing' means being rated in the 80th percentile. If he can do the adult ones with a "few mistakes" then he's probably in that range.
    It might help open some doors for him at school.

Not in my experience but every school is different of course. 2 of the 4 years our kids have been in school they've had a completely useless teacher and bugger all support structures any year. Them being gifted meant nothing to a regressive principal. In 1st class they did 3rd class maths but as was pointed out to us the following year they had only done the book not the curriculum if you follow me.

The courses are worth doing for themselves though. My kids have done engineering, forensic science, journalism, veterinary science, maths (algebra, logic/problem solving, pythagoras etc), among others - and they're just 8 years old. It's a fantastic program.

We make limited (due to resources) provision for children who are accepted for CTYI (don't have to be attending.)It's only a small thing, but some bit of a start. Having passed the CTYI assessment is an objective view of the child's abilty. It's not a teacher or parent saying
    it.

• Advertisement

I'd love to chat with you at some stage about that. I know resources are limited but when some withdrawal hours were provided there was no structure and we couldn't even get an answer when we asked what was being done. They might have been taken out on Tuesday one week and then not for another 4 weeks - despite us being told that they had an hour a week. Kids need structure - as do their busy parents :) Anyway - that's off topic a little. I'd start a thread on it but the temptation to rant would be overwhelming :D

We make limited (due to resources) provision for children who are accepted for CTYI (don't have to be attending.)It's only a small thing, but some bit of a start. Having passed the CTYI assessment is an objective view of the child's abilty. It's not a teacher or parent saying
    it.

This reminds me. OP: you should check if your school has a gifted kids policy. Not many do but if they do you should look at it and see what the school can provide and what structures are available.

Advertisement