Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a Campervan for the Summer

Options
  • 21-03-2012 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭

Just curious....could you go to rent a camper van for the summer period for weekend use?
    Would it cost a shed load or would this sort of thing be done by private arrangement with someone who owns a camper van or are there places in Ireland you can go to rent them....no nothing about this area at all but would be interested in trying it out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

i looked into renting last year off companies and the prices were astronomical even off peak

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

Cicero wrote: »
    Just curious....could you go to rent a camper van for the summer period for weekend use?
    Would it cost a shed load or would this sort of thing be done by private arrangement with someone who owns a camper van or are there places in Ireland you can go to rent them....no nothing about this area at all but would be interested in trying it out.
    Short answer is yes a shed load ;).afaik insurance is not available for a private hire even if you could get someone to rent you their 30k camper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Short answer is yes a shed load ;).afaik insurance is not available for a private hire even if you could get someone to rent you their 30k camper

Yea....after I wrote that I figured nah...that's just a stupid idea to think someone would lend me their pride and joy...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

Hi Cicero,
    We might be able to look after you for a week-end .
    Yes , campervan rental is expensive but if you consider the insurance which is very expensive for " self drive hire " , repayments on a € 50,000 vehicle , annual depreciation of a € 50,000 vehicle , maintenance and VAT @ 13.5% on all income , maybe then you can realise why it is expensive. But still well worth it.:)
    Kevin www.iwmotorhomes.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

demoreino wrote: »
    Hi Cicero,
    We might be able to look after you for a week-end .
    Yes , campervan rental is expensive but if you consider the insurance which is very expensive for " self drive hire " , repayments on a € 50,000 vehicle , annual depreciation of a € 50,000 vehicle , maintenance and VAT @ 13.5% on all income , maybe then you can realise why it is expensive. But still well worth it.:)

Thanks Demo...180 per day (peak season) definitely a very special sort of break at that price...but I appreciate the costs of production are high...pity the vehicles themselves are so expensive...reckon there's a decent business opportunity to promote "Ireland at home" breaks ...should be Govt funded...it would pay for itself in money spent in local communities throughout Ireland...of course, Govt. too stupid to support such a plan...

• Advertisement

Cicero wrote: »
    Thanks Demo...180 per day (peak season) definitely a very special sort of break at that price...but I appreciate the costs of production are high...pity the vehicles themselves are so expensive...reckon there's a decent business opportunity to promote "Ireland at home" breaks ...should be Govt funded...it would pay for itself in money spent in local communities throughout Ireland...of course, Govt. too stupid to support such a plan...

As far as I know , motorhome / campervan rental is the only sector in tourism in Ireland that is still paying 13.5 % VAT. All other sectors , including all other forms of accomodation for tourists and attractions were reduced to 9% in one of the budgets in 2011.
    Perhaps , the very politically powerful hotel industry that controls most aspects of Failte Ireland can explain why they pay 9% VAT and we pay 13.5% VAT.
    Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Kevin! Thought you'd disappeared!

Its hard to get rid of a bad thing Aiden. I've been lurking in the shadows keeping an eye on ye all. I must call in to ye soon for a chat .

• Registered Users Posts: 10 le francais

In France this type of private rental is possible and loads of camper owners do it; here is a site with hundreds of campers listed throughout France.
    http://www.locationcampingcardeparticulier.com/
    Private insurance contracts allow this type of rental provided a certain number of conditions are adhered to
    driver with full licence and over 25
    driver with 50% or 5 years no claims bonus
    rental weeks limited

Camper rental companies are finding this competition very difficult.

From previous posts rental market in Ireland is impossible due to insurance restraints and premiums

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

It makes you wonder if you were to just swap your motorhome with someone else would it work if you had open drive on the van?

You wouldn't be giving the motorhome to anyone for hire or reward, and it'd be just a 'loan' we'd say.

• Advertisement
Advertisement