Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No sac in uterus at 4wks 3days

Options
  • 21-03-2012 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭

Hi Everyone

This is my first pregnancy. I went into the Rotunda with pain in my side. I had a tiny bleed on Sunday night. It was like spotting but no blood since.
    They did a pregnancy test which came back positive and they checked my bloods. My HCG levels were 794. They did a vaginal scan too get a clear look at my womb and didn't see a sac. They kept me over night and I've to go back tomorrow morning for blood tests to see if my HCG levels are going up.

They said it's a waiting game. That I have to wait and see what HCG levels do. If they decline it's a miscarriage, if they same the same it's ectopic pregnancy and if they double it's a good sign. They are going to repeat the scan in one week. I just don't know were I stand.

Has anyone been through this? Could I still have a normal pregnancy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

You can still have a normal pregnancy. Most bleeding in early pregnancy is unexplained. What colour was the blood?

Your HCG levels are above average for your gestation. Normal ranges for that gestation according to this link - http://www.baby2see.com/preconception/hcg.html - are between 5-430mIU/ml (the units the use to measure HCG in your urine).

Good luck and let us know how you get on x

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

When I went for a transvaginal scan on my pregnancy it was at 7 weeks 4 days. 7 weeks was the earliest the clinic would do them to be sure that something could be seen - maybe at 4 weeks embryos might be too small to find?

Hope its all ok for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭sleepytrees

January wrote: »
    You can still have a normal pregnancy. Most bleeding in early pregnancy is unexplained. What colour was the blood?

Your HCG levels are above average for your gestation. Normal ranges for that gestation according to this link - http://www.baby2see.com/preconception/hcg.html - are between 5-430mIU/ml (the units the use to measure HCG in your urine).

Good luck and let us know how you get on x
    it was brown blood, with a tiny bit of red. It was only a tiny amount and haven't had any more since sunday night. It was a once of bleeding. I get my repeat bloods tomorrow to make sure the HCG levels are going up. Then I get a scan next week too see if they can see the sac!

Neyite wrote: »
    When I went for a transvaginal scan on my pregnancy it was at 7 weeks 4 days. 7 weeks was the earliest the clinic would do them to be sure that something could be seen - maybe at 4 weeks embryos might be too small to find?

Hope its all ok for you.
    They said whilst doing the scan that your HCG levels need to be past 1500 in order to see anything. At that stage they hadn't got my results and mine was 794. Hoping for the best!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm on a couple of pregnancy forums and lots and lots of the women have gone for scans so early that they haven't shown up anything. Even up to 6 nearly weeks. Then a few weeks later they get another scan and everything has been fine. As early as you are it's really common not to see anything. Get you HCG level taken again in a few days and as long as it's rising at the correct rate you should be fine. Then you can ask for another scan once you reach 7 weeks by which time the embryo should be easy to find as if all is going well it will have a strong heartbeat.

• Advertisement

Got my bloods done today. Results were HCG levels 2000

Unfortunately they kept me in hospital. They want to do a scan tomorrow morning to locate the sac. They are worried it might be ectopic.
    Although they said it's 50/50 between ectopic and normal pregnancy.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Got my bloods done today. Results were HCG levels 2000

Unfortunately they kept me in hospital. They want to do a scan tomorrow morning to locate the sac. They are worried it might be ectopic.
    Although they said it's 50/50 between ectopic and normal pregnancy.

Good levels - they are on the up so thats promising :) Hopefully they are just being cautious and ruling out etopic. I have had a few tests but the doctors ordering them are just ruling pregnancy complications out more than being actually worried something is wrong.

Good luck tomorrow. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Good luck, will be thinking of you

Neyite wrote: »
    Good levels - they are on the up so thats promising :) Hopefully they are just being cautious and ruling out etopic. I have had a few tests but the doctors ordering them are just ruling pregnancy complications out more than being actually worried something is wrong.

Good luck tomorrow. :)

Thank you :). Finger crossed. Really hope it's just a normal pregnancy.

Did you go through the same thing?

Good luck, will be thinking of you

Thank you :) Fingers and toes crossed!

• Advertisement

iguana wrote: »
    I'm on a couple of pregnancy forums and lots and lots of the women have gone for scans so early that they haven't shown up anything. Even up to 6 nearly weeks. Then a few weeks later they get another scan and everything has been fine. As early as you are it's really common not to see anything. Get you HCG level taken again in a few days and as long as it's rising at the correct rate you should be fine. Then you can ask for another scan once you reach 7 weeks by which time the embryo should be easy to find as if all is going well it will have a strong heartbeat.

This gives me hope, thank you! My HCG levels went from 794 to 2000 in 48hrs. They want to do an early pregnancy scan tomorrow. I'm worried it is too soon. I think they just want to check the sac isn't somewhere it isn't meant to be.

This gives me hope, thank you! My HCG levels went from 794 to 2000 in 48hrs. They want to do an early pregnancy scan tomorrow. I'm worried it is too soon. I think they just want to check the sac isn't somewhere it isn't meant to be.

That's a really good doubling speed, about 36 hours. I'm not an expert but I think in general HCG rises slower when the pregnancy is ectopic so I think you have good cause to hope for the best.

iguana wrote: »
    That's a really good doubling speed, about 36 hours. I'm not an expert but I think in general HCG rises slower when the pregnancy is ectopic so I think you have good cause to hope for the best.

The nurse just said to me tonight that she has never seen an ectopic raise to 2000 in her experience. She was so positive, like a ray of sunshine. It's really nice to have some hope! doctors make it seem hopeless and expect the worse!

That sounds positive. Fingers crossed they can find the sac tomorrow and it's in the right place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Hope everything goes well for you today Sleepytrees xx

Got scan today, Baby Sac and yolk in the womb. Healthy pregnancy and I have to go back in ten days for another scan. So happy and excited :D. I'm going to be a mammy:D:D:D

I was earlier than they thought 4wks and 5days.

Thank you :). Finger crossed. Really hope it's just a normal pregnancy.

Did you go through the same thing?

My story is that we had unexplained infertility, which after 2.5 years of trying got pregnant thanks to Clomid. I rang the clinic at exactly 4 weeks to discuss the positive. Because of the medication, there was a higher chance of multiples so they needed to scan me as early as possible, and booked me in at 7+4. The clinic said that was the earliest I could have a scan as earlier ones might not show much.

On that scan we saw twins, but one had a much smaller sac than the other. 2 weeks later, a repeat scan showed the little twin had stopped growing and only one heartbeat could be found. I never had a spot of blood or pain though, I was so scared I’d lose the other too, so talking to the EPU to try and get monitored was like banging my head off a brick wall.

Yer wan on the phone all told me that I was lucky I was even being booked in for my first visit at 21 weeks as other women were booked in at 23 weeks in Galway, and that unless I had bleeding or pain that I was more or less wasting their time. Basically she told me more or less to be grateful I was even being entertained 2 weeks early. I think if I had been standing in front of her I might just have beaten her around the head with her keyboard. In hindsight she is probably the worst person you could have on the phone in the EPU when you are scared and just want to talk to an obstetrician

I went to my GP in tears, and she wrote a letter. I got a call then from the Maternity Endocrinology Clinic booking me in at 11 weeks – (I have a prolactinoma that ideally should be monitored during pregnancy) and after that I got well looked after throughout my pregnancy.

The early days are so scary – because you are totally at the mercy of your body and its just a waiting game. But, lots of women bleed and go on to have a healthy pregnancy, so try not to worry too much. Easier said than done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

Got scan today, Baby Sac and yolk in the womb. Healthy pregnancy and I have to go back in ten days for another scan. So happy and excited :D. I'm going to be a mammy:D:D:D

congratulations that's brilliant news

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭littlemissteach

Just after reading this thread now- aw that's fantastic news hun!You must have been so relieved !Hope you have a happy and healthy time for the rest of your pregnancy.

Hi all, just thought I'd give everyone an update!! I'm 14wks pregnant. Had my scan on Friday!! Everything normal. Baby was moving like mad.

so happy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

that's brilliant news congratulations :-)

Advertisement