Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comic book geeks - How do you know all this stuff?

Options
  • 21-03-2012 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

I've just been reading some posts on one of the many comic book forums where i came across a particular site that hosts hypothetical battles between different superheroes and various other fictional characters. Some of the posters replying to these battle threads seem to have almost encyclopedic knowledge about almost any character you could name. Do they really buy and read every comic book that comes out? Is there some sort of global database of superheroic knowledge that i've not discovered? Or are they just pretending?

My question to all you knowledgeable comic book experts out there is simple.
    How the hell do you know everything about every single superhero/horoine/villain that ever graced the pages of a comic book?
    Thanks for your help guys/girls ;)

Oh... and the comic book forum i was reffering to above can be found here and this will take you to a particular post(#8) that is a perfect example of what i'm talking about.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Dedication my friend, dedication. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

There are wikis which have synopsis of each char and their, history, powers and how they have evolved and rebooted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

jpcarlow wrote: »
    Dedication my friend, dedication. ;)

&
    Sharrow wrote: »
    There are wikis which have synopsis of each char and their, history, powers and how they have evolved and rebooted.

Do you have photographic memories? or can any ol' pleb do it :p , half the time i can't remember what's happened in my own life let alone hundreds of other lives...

gufnork wrote: »
    &

Do you have photographic memories? or can any ol' pleb do it :p , half the time i can't remember what's happened in my own life let alone hundreds of other lives...
    well, to use myself as an example, I find pretty much everything Marvel interesting and fun so because it's interesting it's a lot easier to remember

&

well, to use myself as an example, I find pretty much everything Marvel interesting and fun so because it's interesting it's a lot easier to remember

I'll definitely have to go study a bit. Was hoping there'd be database for android, or even a site formatted for smartphone. Doesn't seem to be one though(other than comic vine, but I'm not sure I want to pay $45 each year for it).

still, I'll have to work with what I've got I suppose.

• Advertisement

&

You mean Eidetic memory :P

comicbookdb.com

http://marvel.wikia.com/Main_Page

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Thanks for the links :D , got my work cut out there then...

you hopeing to pull that data into an app so you can look up info to keep in conversations?

hello sheldon ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 padimus2

I guess its similar to how people treat soccer players or other sports stars, take baseball for instance, there's guys who will tell you how many home runs their team or a particular player hit in a certain year. People just have a tendancy to remember miniutia about stuff they like!

• Advertisement

hello sheldon ;)

Pff he'd never many as many grammatical errors when posting as I do :P

Pff he'd never many as many grammatical errors when posting as I do :P
    Then again you're probably not as neurotic...so it all balances out ha

you hopeing to pull that data into an app so you can look up info to keep in conversations?

Pretty much, yeah ;) , that frowned upon then..? :p

I think it's a cool project but you may run into issues with where you are scraping the data from and re name and image copy right.

Advertisement