Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need a psychiatrist soon options?

Options
  • 21-03-2012 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all, i've been having trouble on and off with depression and anxiety for years. At worst i've had a lot of trouble with panic attacks and "major depressive episodes". I'd been doing really well the last few years but lately i've been under a lot of pressure and started to slip.
    Im in college as a mature student and went to the college doctor for help, they sent me for counselling which isn't helping and don't seem to have any solution other than this or increasing my prozac, which i don't think is going to help.
    I need to see a psychiatrist, i've been feeling sucidal, not sleeping and am at the point that if i don't get my act together, i'll have to drop out of college.
    The problem is im skint, i can't afford to go privately and although i'll qualify for a medical card my application hasn't come through. What can i do? if i wait for my medical card how long will i be waiting to see somebody. I need help soon or i'll have to drop out and that's gonna make everything worse.
    Please help, any advise appreciated

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Anyone can have access to their local Mental Heath Team for free. Some require a letter of referral from your GP, others allow self-referral. Check for your nearest day-hospital / mental health clinic here - http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Find_a_Service/Mental_Health_Services/

and ring for an appointment. Ask about referral letters while you are talking to them. They may have a drop-in centre for a general chat while you wait to see a psych.

Best of luck and I hope the wait is a short one - it varies from place to place but I believe Cork is well-staffed these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 corkhead

yup got on to them, there's a two to three month waiting list, but if i go straight to a hospital with a referral letter i should be seen immediately. Thanks for the help!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Sound, no probs. I hope you get the help you need.

after i write that it really doesn't sound good, the thought of going to a hospital really doesn't appeal to me, but i suppose it's gotta be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Corkhead don't be alone. Even if you can't see anyone in person people here on boards will listen til you can. Make a list of all the positive things in your life. Keep away from situations that drag you down. Well done on going back as a mature student too. Wish I had your guts. I can only wish you the best of luck at this hard time and it will get better. You just have to believe it will.

• Advertisement

Thanks kkkitty, yeah i've been in this situation before and i know i'll get through it's just horrible when your here! Have an appoint with doc tomorrow so hopefully i can get seen by psych pretty soon. It's insomnia that's really messing me up at the moment, haven't slept properly in ages so hopefully i'll get that sorted pretty soon!

corkhead wrote: »
    Thanks kkkitty, yeah i've been in this situation before and i know i'll get through it's just horrible when your here! Have an appoint with doc tomorrow so hopefully i can get seen by psych pretty soon. It's insomnia that's really messing me up at the moment, haven't slept properly in ages so hopefully i'll get that sorted pretty soon!
    You're more than welcome Corkhead. Have you tried any relaxation techniques before bed?

yup tried and not working, under a lot of pressure at the moment and my mind is just too busy to be able to relax! I can get cbt through the college, i've been to one session and i can see some usefullness to it but i just need some relief in the short term.

corkhead wrote: »
    yup tried and not working, under a lot of pressure at the moment and my mind is just too busy to be able to relax! I can get cbt through the college, i've been to one session and i can see some usefullness to it but i just need some relief in the short term.
    Don't let things get to you. I know it's easier said than done but your wellbeing is being affected. Is there a family member or close friend that can help.

i can talk to my fiance but even though she tries i don't think she fully understands and i know im not easy to be around when im like this, not that im ever abusive or anything like that im just heavy weather! I think i just need to wait it out, im seeing the cbt guy tomorrow and he's a gp aswell so hopefully he'll give me a referal letter and i can see a psych. im just dreading that he's going to get all cbt on me and tell me i don't need medication that i just need to fix my thought process etc. I know i need to try that stuff in the long term but right now im not able to face any of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

We've a dedicated depression/anxiety thread on here too. It's well worth posting in there, even if it's just to have a rant and get things off your chest. Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

You can go to the nearest psychiatric hospital at any time if you are severely suicidal including during the night or at weekends. The mental health teams are generally day time during working week and have organised assesments with patients but for more serious and immediate cases the psychiatrists on duty at hospital will see a suicidal person. They may prescribe something to help you till the local mental health team sees you for a longer assesment.

Stick with it , it will get better and you'll be suprised how quick you can turn around if you get a few nights good sleep .

Make your fiancee understand more. She is also another positive in your life. I hope you're going to be ok. Go for walks and focus on yourself. You are the only one who can help you so do what you have to. Life is worth living.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

You are wasting your time going to see a psychiatrist. All he/she will do is throw you out a few pills to pop, and that'll be the end of it. Honestly you might aswell be waiting two months to see a fortune teller, as you are seeing a psychiatrist. A useless shower of no good for nothings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

conas- on this website we have a policy of not giving medical advice. that includes advising people not to seek medical help. do not post here in that manner again.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Katy89

op, if the waiting list for a psychiatrist is long, why don't you go to your gp and tell him what's going on.

if it's that bad an acute, he can describe you something which gives you relief immediately while you in this rough patch with college and puts you out of danger of dropping out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sunnie

hi corkhead, i can completly comply with what you are going through at the moment. i too have battled with depression and anixty for many many years. i have my good wkks and my bad weeks. recently ive been havin alot of bad days, so much so that it is starting to slpit my relationship up with my boyfriend. I have been to see someone but that was back in janurary and have not heard anything from anyone since. ive gone to my doc to see wat the hold up is but nothing as of yet from anyone. im afraid im going to ruein my relationship if i dont sort myself out soon

Hey thanks to everyone for the help, went to my gp today and he gave me a referral letter, i have to go to the local mental health centre tomorrow and hopefully i'll be able to see a psych there, im feeling a bit better today but hopefully ill get to see someone tomorrow and not just on a waiting list.
    my gp is the guy who's doing the cbt therapy with me, i didn't ask him but i don't think he'll put me on anything other than the prozac im already on coz he seems to be very anti-medication. if needs be ill find another gp.
    sunnie hang in there, i hope you get to see somebody soon. I find it ridiculous that they tell people suffering from depression to talk to there gp and when you do you can be left waiting for ages to get the help you need. i don't know what the problems you're having with your boyfriend are but if you want to talk let me know. I find it helps if you tell your partner that your not well and you need to be supported and understood. you don't need to be judged or to have people criticize you. was in a relationship before where the person wasn't willing or able to do that but in the long run that was good because in the long run i don't want to be with someone whose impatient, unhelpful and small minded. my fiance offered to go to the hospital with me today which was great, problem is she had mental health problems before and she sometimes thinks what worked for her should for me generally she tries.
    conas you shouldn't be posting things like that online, medication works for a lot of people and you could do real harm by telling people not to see a psychiatrist. it's very difficult for a lot of people already to go for help and putting those kind of innaccurate generalizations around is dangerous.

Advertisement