Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters during H. Dip?

Options
  • 21-03-2012 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi guys,

Just a small bit confused about the whole degree-earning thing! I am currently finishing my B. Ed. degree and am now looking to get my H. Dip next year. Did I hear that you can do an M. Ed. at the same time (over the course of one year)? If so, are there any advantages in doing this?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Hi there jefflynne. First of all, I think you're referring to the Dip (the probation period of 100 days) rather than a HDip (which implies college study, or the secondary teacher qualification). Lots of people call it the H.Dip but that can cause confusion!

You can do your Dip and a masters at the same time, I've heard of people who have done it. There's no barrier to that because they're both entirely separate things. The M.Ed is a part time masters (in Mary I at least) so can be combined with teaching. The M.Ed is two years though, not one. The workload could be heavy enough combining the Dip with an M.Ed but there's nothing to stop you doing it as far as I know.

As regards the benefits of having a masters, aside from the instrinsic satisfaction you would get from more study (:D), it depends. Up until this year you would have got an extra allowance in your salary for having a masters, but that's gone now. Many teachers do an M.Ed to have a further qualification if they want to apply for principal posts. An M.Ed could lead on to research or other areas related to teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭k_smash

I've been searching for a thread on the M.Ed for a while. I'm just finished the B.Ed this year. I'm really interested in doing an M.Ed maybe next september. What is the process for applying for a masters?? What are the entry requirements? Any info would be really appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cookiescrumble

Hi K-Smash,

I'm doing the M.Ed at the moment. The application process for next year will open after Christmas. The email addresses you need to make contact should be on the Mary I website. If you go to the postgraduate section all the information is there. The application process is fairly easygoing enough, there's a form you fill out where you have to give your reasons for wanting to apply, an area you'd be interested and any literature you've read on the topic. Hope that helps a bit.

Advertisement