Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no hdmi on tv for apple tv2

Options
  • 21-03-2012 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    II bought my sis an apple tv2 for here birthday but now just realised that her plasma tv doesnt have a HDMI port?
    I found a box on ebay that says it can output from HDMI via component but costs 56 euro?
    Any other ideas on how to get this working?
    I think the tv also has a VGA port (its a philips plasma, maybe about 7-8 yrs old)
    Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks
    Sham.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

The device on EBay is a fake. There are devices to convert an analogue RGB/Component signal to a digital HDMI but they're over 200 quid !

If you can get the model number of the TV we could probably help you further but I'd guess the TV at least has a DVI port. This is the predecessor of the HDMI and is a digital input. HDMI to DVI adaptors cost from about 15 euro upwards and can be bought in Currys/PC World or Harvey Normans to mention but a few. EBay may offer a cheaper option though.

If you go this route you will need to run the audio signal separately to the TV via optical cable from the ATV. Not sure if your TV has this input though so would be worth checking before investing.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Thanks Ken,
    I was thinking it was dodgy enough but I saw a few people on a forum who had bought them but it would be a risk.
    I will get the model number of the TV.
    I was thinking of trying HDMI to VGA and then running the optical from the apple to the 5.1 system she had.
    I suppose that would work for the DVI option aswell.
    Thanks for the reply I will do a bit more checking before I order.
    Cheers.
    Brian.

I may have been a bit premature in discounting the HDMI to RGB option it seems. The device I was thinking of was a simple adaptor with a HDMI and VGA socket that did nothing and cost about a tenner. My apologies for that.

Did a quick search there and found a few different options for your needs if the DVI option doesn't work out. The latter is still the cheapest way to go but this site has a selection of converters under $100. So it feasible that a similar unit is available on EBay. Again I apologise for the incorrect info.

Hope you find a suitable solution.

Ken

Thanks again Ken,
    This is the one I bought (havent paid yet) on ebay
    It says it does apple tv
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/270933531702?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

The item is described as a HDMI to Component video converter but the sockets available on it are only for composite video ! The worst possible video quality there is and not capable of HD. The S-Video socket will be marginally better but nowhere near HD quality.

Have you checked the TV for a DVI socket ? Seriously recommend you do before buying that device from E-Bay. The apple TV can output at 1080 but if you put it through that box you will get down scaled Standard Definition pictures which will seriously disappoint !

Ken

• Advertisement

Checked tv today ken
    Only vga, scart, svideo and composite
    I don't think the tv is HD anyway.
    Not ideal I know but I will give it a shot
    Cheers for all the replies
    Sham..

Advertisement