Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Separated in Ireland - Divorce in Belfast

Options
  • 21-03-2012 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine heard of a guy who separated from his wife 2 years ago. Rather than waiting for 4 years before getting divorced here, he was able to go to Belfast and get a proper divorce.

Sounds strange to me since its a different jurisdiction. Has anyone else heard about this? Is it for real?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭King Krib

Id be very interested to see how this works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine heard of a guy who separated from his wife 2 years ago. Rather than waiting for 4 years before getting divorced here, he was able to go to Belfast and get a proper divorce.

Sounds strange to me since its a different jurisdiction. Has anyone else heard about this? Is it for real?

I can't see how this would work, there would be a conflict of laws, surely?

I'm open to correction here of course, but I think unless the marriage took place in Belfast, they went to live in S. Ireland then separated I'm not sure how else that could work.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I think this is one that is really straying towards legal advice, something not permitted in this forum.

They may well have gotten a divorce in the north, but the bigger question is would that divorce be legally recognised here or would something else be required. If you are thinking of going that route I strongly suggest you seek professional advice from a divorce lawyer in the republic. Worst case scenario - you get remarried and then charged for bigamy....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

its sounds to me like the OP has missed out a large lump of detail - like the moving away for 2 years - you don't just get the train to Belfast and get a divorce, a Big Mac and a pair of shoes on a day trip.

it appears to me to be 'get married in the RoI, seperate, one of the parties moves to NI for two years, they then ask their local court - in NI - for a divorce based on UK/NI divorce law' situation.

Advertisement