Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuition Tax Relief for 4 years

Options
  • 21-03-2012 6:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

So I haven't claimed any Tuition tax back since I started college. My college and course does qualify for a tax back. Figured I'd apply for it in the end to get a nice little chunk after getting my degree. I guess its safe to say I am clueless on how to go about it. I will have duplicate receipts I hope that's not an issue. So how does it happen, do I get a refund in my bank account? Does it come with my pay at the end of the month (I work part time)? Will it take long? Is it too late to get it back at this time of the year? Guys any help will be much appreciated. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭relax carry on

sgallagher wrote: »
    So I haven't claimed any Tuition tax back since I started college. My college and course does qualify for a tax back. Figured I'd apply for it in the end to get a nice little chunk after getting my degree. I guess its safe to say I am clueless on how to go about it. I will have duplicate receipts I hope that's not an issue. So how does it happen, do I get a refund in my bank account? Does it come with my pay at the end of the month (I work part time)? Will it take long? Is it too late to get it back at this time of the year? Guys any help will be much appreciated. Cheers

Refunds of tax are based on tax paid during the year the relief is claimed for. So for example if you paid qualifying fees in 2008, you must have also have paid tax in that year to claim against it. If you did not pay tax in the year you incurred the expenses there is nothing to claim the relief against, so no refund would be due in that case. Any refund due to you from prior years is refunded to your bank account if you provide the details. The link below will assist you with your claim. Complete the claim form and submit along with your receipts to your local PAYE area.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it31.html

Advertisement