Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fit extra speakers to a campervan

Options
  • 20-03-2012 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

I have a Fiat Ducato campervan with a stereo radio/cd player and two speakers built into the two cab doors. I would like to fit another two speakers in the van itself as it is difficult to hear the radio when you are in the back of the van. Can I just add the speakers and wire them back to the stereo or will I need to buy an amp. I'm not after big volume but I just want to hear the radio when sitting in the van. I would greatly appreciate any advise on this please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭tphase

Pull the radio out to see if you have a 2nd pair of speaker terminals, in which case it's a matter of routing cables to your new speakers. If not, I'd go looking for a new or 2nd unit which has 2 speaker outs. If you do get a new unit, you might want to consider getting one with a remote control - it's a pain in the arse if you're comfortable in bed listening to the radio and have to get up to change channel, adjust volume or switch it off

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 poutie

We did that exact thing with our camper. My husband wired two extra speakers off the speakers in each door, he soldered a wire onto each existing speaker and added two speakers in the back of the van. You lose a tiny percentage of the volume, but not much, it works perfectly, but you cannot control the rear speakers independantly obviously, they will run off the ones in the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭colmll

So I can just connect them to the speakers on the doors! Sounds like a plan. Although I like the idea of a remote control too. Thanks for the advice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 poutie

We did change the stereo on the front to a remote control one, very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

It'd probably be easier to wire them into the radio , or into the speaker wires under the dash , What year is it?>

• Advertisement

2009 fiat Ducato

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

ah , pity , if it was the older model it'd be easier . I'd say go for the stereo itself then , easier to remove and run wires from , than from the doors . Plus it won't overload the door speaker outputs , and you can have the fader (front-rear) working properly then.

Too late Aidan! I actually wired them to the speakers in the door and it worked out fine. I know I can't use the fader between front and back but all I really wanted was to be able to hear the stereo in the back of the van. Bit of work with the wiring but worth it in the end. Thanks to all for the advice.

Advertisement