Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forever alone....

Options
  • 20-03-2012 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭

...at gigs.

So have you\would you go to rock/metal gigs on your own? I find the metal scene quite clique-ey and I'm just there to have a few beers, enjoy the bands and a natter in between. I can't stand anyone who talks during a gig...unless the band is sh!t :pac:.

The reason I bring this up is I went to Suffo on me tobler (initially) and ended up having a great night. Just moshed the whole way through suffo and didn't give a toss. Two mates were meant to come along but they never showed so I just thought "f*ck it". Thing is I don't really have a group of mates who are in to the same style of music I'm in to so it's quite tough wrangling a group out to a death metal gig.

Do you seem like a loner or just a bit of a 'weirdo' on your own? I know there's one fella (I always see him) who just lurks and tries to crowd surf and get in to it. So I hope I'm never perceived as that bad! (I'm sure some of yee know who I'm talking about).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I usually go to gigs on my own.

Mind you it's a much easier decision to flake on a gig if I'm not that pushed on the day.

Positives and negatives innit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I go the majority of gigs alone, have been doing so for years, and don't plan on changing my mind on it now

If I want to see a band I got sick and tired of waiting for so called friends to go with, who'd either complain they paid too much or get so drunk they couldn't remember what happened the night before, in the end it was easier (and a lot more enjoyable) to go alone

I've met a lot of good people, like minded people, at gigs...can't beat the kind of people you meet in an environment you want to be in, certainly make more friends there then you will at school

• Registered Users Posts: 38,167 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

yeah went to a number of gigs on my own and going to gnr on my own this year (have to book a hotel because of a certain axl who is so unpriecable with time)

I did feel like a bit of a loner but as soon as you enter the arena and take your seat and hear the music over the pa system you forget youre there alone and sit there and enjoy the music

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Some people can very very self-conscious when they attend gigs on their tobler. They sometimes need vindication from others that it's actually okay to see a band on their own. Well it is okay. :)

It's not a social event regardless of how some people behave at gigs, i.e. spending most of the night in the smoking area/bar with their buddies talking ****e as opposed to getting their moneys worth. But if you're on yer tobler you tend to stay and watch the performances, including support acts. When you're with others you tend to treat it as a social event.

So going alone may actually benefit and enhance your enjoyment of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nungesser

nothing wrong with flying solo, i do it all the time, i find it a big pain in the ass going with friends a lot of the time, everybody has there own agenda so you get the friend that wants to show up late or the one i hate is leave before the gig is over!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I went to a few gigs on my own. Never mind, I want to see a decent gig ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I next to never go to concerts with people. I've probably seen upwards of 50 bands, and less than 10 of those would be with friends. I kinda accept that unless it's a less extreme band, my friends are highly unlikely to wanna go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Throughout the 90's with rare exceptions i went to gigs on my own. Never bothered me at all tbh. Without wishing to sound corny,once you arrived at the venue you felt like a part of a cool underground club.

Pretty much all the people i work with on a daily basis are not into rock or metal. I listen to utter crap in work every day,mainstream drivel in the main. When i turn up at a gig,it feels special to be in a place where so many others who have similar interest are gathered. No one looks at you funny for wearing a WASP T-shirt or a battered old leather jacket. No one looks at you like you're mad when you start headbanging like a mother****er or decide you fancy a good mosh.

Anyways,since the early 2000's i've generally being going with a couple of gig buddies,mates with the same taste in music. It's great to share the buzz before a gig over a few beers and likewise afterwards. There are times when i still wish i was on my own,mainly when they're trying to get another round in and i'm itching to get to the venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I've went to a few gigs by myself alright. Forget what a few of them were if I'm honest, there was Garcia Plays Kyuss, but one that sticks out recently was that Cannibal Corpse gig in the Academy a few years back, although like all the other gigs I've went alone to, I inevitably bump into someone I know at them. To be fair though, for the majority of gigs, I normally go with my older brother, who I share an vast majority of my tastes with, bar a few oddities. As well as a good few friends of course varying in taste, of course...

But I wouldn't be put off by thought of going off to a gig by myself, I've rarely had the pleasure of attending many Avant Garde, Noise or Progressive Jazz gigs, — which would be down my street, figuratively speaking — but if one were to come about I would imagine I'd end up going by myself, although I can't imagine that would bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

like a lot have said here, going to gigs on your own is no biggie, I was at Suffo on my own too - sometimes I do feel a little self concious - but only before the music starts, then it makes no difference if I'd someone with me or not, I'd be on my own and checking out the band :-)

the scene can be a bit cliquey alright, but I've always found people in the rock/metal end of things a lot more friendly and chilled out than at some of the other stuff I go to......

many good things about hitting gigs on your own - you are never waiting around for people, you don't miss stuff because of distractions etc......I know there's a few randomers around that may be a little odd, but if you are just there enjoying yourself nobody will even notice you are on your own......
    I went to UFO last night on my own, got chatting to a few people around me and bumped into some mates on the way out, there's always some one around - will be at Exhumed tonight on my own (jaysus I am Billy-no-mates ;) ....) and it may be a little different as it could be quite quiet.....but I'm dying to see them......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Nailz wrote: »
    I've went to a few gigs by myself alright. Forget what a few of them were if I'm honest, there was Garcia Plays Kyuss, but one that sticks out recently was that Cannibal Corpse gig in the Academy a few years back, although like all the other gigs I've went alone to, I inevitably bump into someone I know at them. To be fair though, for the majority of gigs, I normally go with my older brother, who I share an vast majority of my tastes with, bar a few oddities. As well as a good few friends of course varying in taste, of course...

But I wouldn't be put off by thought of going off to a gig by myself, I've rarely had the pleasure of attending many Avant Garde, Noise or Progressive Jazz gigs, — which would be down my street, figuratively speaking — but if one were to come about I would imagine I'd end up going by myself, although I can't imagine that would bother me.

I remember that show, I wound up re-fracturing my wrist at it, a week after getting out of my cast :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

God I hate the phrase "on my tobler" and I've already seen it twice on this thread :mad:.

Anyway I've often gone to gigs on my own and will continue to do so. A perfect (and timely) example is the upcoming Meshuggah tour of Britain. Not too many of my mates are into them and while it'd be great to head over to see the band with a mate or two, if no one can make it, I'll still go myself. There's no way I'm missing out on them just in case someone spots me and thinks "That guy's by himself. What a sad bastard." :). The older I get, the less I care what other people think ;).

Frankly if you're focusing on the audience while a band is on, especially if they are face melters like Meshuggah, you're the one doing something wrong, not the bloke that's minding his own business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Wow! Not really forever alone then! Gives me an idea to make the 'forever alone' t shirt except have black metal make up on him. (I'm sure it's been done before).

Maybe it's some stigma of being a 'loner' and thus perceived as weird at gigs (probably, or maybe I just naturally look weird...:pac:). I'd never actually approach anyone. Except maybe a few drunken slurs at the bar or after moshing with them.

EDIT: Just reading your point that when the bands are on, that's fine. It's the inbetweeney looking-at-my-phone/head to bar bits I'm on about. Suppose it'd depend on the venue too. I mean in a small one it'd be hard to find a corner and just perch. Large one would be grand to just amble about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

I go to most gigs on my own, as my mates, while some do share my taste in music, are either married or useless. I'd have missed loads of great gigs if I was waiting for someone to go with all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

blastman wrote: »
    I go to most gigs on my own, as my mates, while some do share my taste in music, are either married or useless. I'd have missed loads of great gigs if I was waiting for someone to go with all the time.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I used to only go with friends but I ended up missing a few gigs as a result. Now I go on my own. If others are going, great. If not, I'm still going. You feel a little odd at first but it's usually pretty easy to find someone to talk to for a few minutes. Once it starts, I don't really care about talking to others so I don't need anyone for more than a quick chat really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I've done it before and I don't mind at all. I'd rather go by myself than miss out on seeing someone I like.

blastman wrote: »
    I go to most gigs on my own, as my mates, while some do share my taste in music, are either married or useless.
    Sometimes people can be both married and useless ;). I always cringe when I mention a gig or a trip away to someone and the first response isn't whether they're interested or not it's "I'll have to check with the missus".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Malice wrote: »
    Sometimes people can be both married and useless ;). I always cringe when I mention a gig or a trip away to someone and the first response isn't whether they're interested or not it's "I'll have to check with the missus".

Maybe they hear something like: 'You have a responsibility for your family now, you are not living on your own anymore'...or the short version: 'You are not going to that concert' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Maybe they hear something like: 'You have a responsibility for your family now, you are not living on your own anymore'...or the short version: 'You are not going to that concert' :rolleyes:

I used to go to gigs regularly with a good mate of mine, but he's since moved down the Wesht so he rarely comes up for them. Plus, he's got a young family now too.

• Advertisement

I used to go to gigs regularly with a good mate of mine, but he's since moved down the Wesht so he rarely comes up for them. Plus, he's got a young family now too.

How the mighty fall eh? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Well gigs r essential to me for this reason. Its one of them rare environment where I don't feel alone once amongst people equally detatched in not being able to hear each other whilst they're only there to pay attention to what's on stage anyhow. Once yer amidst the throngs with an act on stage you are all one and the same

/thread title. That's not entirely the case :/

LH Pathe wrote: »
    Well gigs r essential to me for this reason. Its one of them rare environment where I don't feel alone once amongst people equally detatched in not being able to hear each other whilst they're only there to pay attention to what's on stage anyhow. Once yer amidst the throngs with an act on stage you are all one and the same

/thread title. That's not entirely the case :/

Ah yeah I get the group mentality of the gig, especially at a small one. But was just seeing if people do go to gigs on their tobler and if so why.

In regards to the thread title, it's a play on this meme.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I've never been to a gig on my own, but it absolutely wouldn't bother me. It can be hard to get friends to go to gigs. And I missed Devin Townsend this year cause a friend of mine was meant to be getting tickets for us and left it too late :(

I was considering going to Suffocation myself, but bit short on money at the minute. But as other posters have said. Once the music starts it doesn't matter.

I go to gigs to enjoy the bands, not sit around the bar/smoking area for a chat. So I don't think it's weird at all to attend a gig alone. Nothing to distract you from the music!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Stormageddon

I've been to gigs on my own in the past and chose to remember the awkward 'creepy loner girl' bits between the bands performing, instead of what bloody good gigs they actually were! Ended up missing some really good bands last year as a result. Just purchased a single ticket to Mastodon/Gojira there. Screw it. My friends are always gonna run screaming into the night at anything resembling a heavy riff, and that's cool. Bring on the death metal forever alone t-shirts that previous poster mentioned! We can all be lone wolves...together...no wait....

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

Absolutely nothing wrong with going out to a gig on your own.I've done it many times and ended up enjoying the gig anyway regardless.Who cares really,you don't know anyone there anyway,you don't need their approval and if you bump into a friend or meet someone,that's a bonus.Why miss out on an opportunity to maybe see an amazing band especially if they won't be around for a while or if it could be the last chance to see them.Life's too short.Gods sake,go dammit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

What an encouraging thread! I'd've never even considered going to a gig alone as an option, yet nearly everyone here has. Funny thing is I usually peg it into the pit at the start of a gig and don't even see the people I came in with till it's over (case in point, Nero on Wednesday just gone). I'll keep yis all in mind next time someone catches my eye on the big board outside Sound Cellar :p

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Stormageddon

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    And I missed Devin Townsend this year cause a friend of mine was meant to be getting tickets for us and left it too late :(

That was one of the gigs I would've loved to go to! Was that this year?I've no sense of time at all. Worst part of it is that the one friend of mine who is a fan of his who'd been hmm-ing and haw-ing about going for months somehow managed to wangle free tickets and waited till the very last minute to tell me Didn't sell or give away his spare..Then told me how great it was afterwards. Wanker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Better to go to a gig alone than miss out entirely! Anyway it's usually too loud to talk to anyone once the band gets going :)

• Advertisement

one friend of mine who is a fan of his who'd been hmm-ing and haw-ing about going for months somehow managed to wangle free tickets and waited till the very last minute to tell me Didn't sell or give away his spare..Then told me how great it was afterwards. Wanker.
    Not much of a friend by the sound of it.

Advertisement