Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing on the Barrow

Options
  • 20-03-2012 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I am new to fishing and I am wondering does anybody know the good spots for fishing on the river Barrow? I have been out a few times but had no luck. What bait is best to use? I don't fly fish. I only use hooks and bait. Do I need a permit? If the Barrow is bad for fishing then what rivers would you recommend trying? Is there any specific methods I should try? I hear using ground bait works well. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

What type of fish would you like to catch? The Barrow holds all kinds. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 CarlowLad10

Not too fussy as I will be letting them back in. Just looking for a bit of sport...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭jodie85

I am new to fishing and I am wondering does anybody know the good spots for fishing on the river Barrow? I have been out a few times but had no luck. What bait is best to use? I don't fly fish. I only use hooks and bait. Do I need a permit? If the Barrow is bad for fishing then what rivers would you recommend trying? Is there any specific methods I should try? I hear using ground bait works well. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

No permit is required for coarse fishing on the Barrow, as regards good spots anywhere in the town can produce good bags of fish. Down at the marina in graugcullen would be a good place to go so long as you get there early because come 12 oclock there will be some FN's fishing there. As regards bait, mix up some groundbait with some chopped worm, maggots and casters you should get a nice liitle bag of fish for yourself. You might even manage to get a pike or two there also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

the barrow is probably the best fishery in Ireland. If your in carlow look up Gerry McStraw from the Carlow club and he will put you right on tactics and spots. No Licence required but membership of the club is optional @ 20 euro per year. Look up carlow cac on facebook to make contact. The guys in the carlow club spend all their time minding the river and enforcing the catch and release laws.

jodie85 wrote: »
    No permit is required for coarse fishing on the Barrow, as regards good spots anywhere in the town can produce good bags of fish. Down at the marina in graugcullen would be a good place to go so long as you get there early because come 12 oclock there will be some FN's fishing there. As regards bait, mix up some groundbait with some chopped worm, maggots and casters you should get a nice liitle bag of fish for yourself. You might even manage to get a pike or two there also.

Thanks jodie85 i will give the marina a go and c how i get on then. Thanks for the advice.

• Advertisement

Macspower wrote: »
    the barrow is probably the best fishery in Ireland. If your in carlow look up Gerry McStraw from the Carlow club and he will put you right on tactics and spots. No Licence required but membership of the club is optional @ 20 euro per year. Look up carlow cac on facebook to make contact. The guys in the carlow club spend all their time minding the river and enforcing the catch and release laws.

Cool, I will try get in contact with Gerry and join as a member. The club is alright for beginners to join too i presume yeah? Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 usernex

I was planning to try fly fishing for pikes at Athy this weekend. Is the river fishable from the bank? Any permit needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Cool, I will try get in contact with Gerry and join as a member. The club is alright for beginners to join too i presume yeah? Thanks for your help.

Probably one of the best clubs for beginners to learn, IMO

21/25

Advertisement