Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with knackered 64gb iPod Touch 3rd Gen??

Options
  • 20-03-2012 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭

Hey,

had an accident a couple of weeks back and my 64gb iPod Touch 3rd Gen went for a swim. I got it looked at and it would cost too much to fix so I went out and bought a 4th Gen one.

But is there anything I can do with my old one, can I crack open the case and use the 64gb harddrive?

Any ideas???

Thanks,

Branners

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭squonk

Not sure OP but I don't think that 64Gb is a HD in the conventional sense. I think the memory is soldered to the board so it's not even an SSD type jobby. I'd also think that if it went belly up due to water damage, the circuitry might not be too trustworthy in any case, depending on how drying off happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I'd throw it on eBay with no reserve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

might be too late but put in a bag of rice to dry out then try a recovery fluid you spray on mboard and you rub off with a toothbrush then reassemble...
    i did this for a friends iphone and it worked well

see you tube for the right stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

You could give a go a cleaning it out yourself

the rice trick doesn't really work if there has been a lot of damage to the unit, but if you bought a new battery from ebay, and soak the motherboard in Lacquer Thinner, this will dry out all the water damage from the board. Then put it all back together with the new battery and bobs your uncle, it should work again.

look up an online guide on how to open it up which there are 100's

total cost of this fix, about €15

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭branners69

Thanks for all the replies!

I have four kids 5 and under so I barely get a chance to mess about on my new 4th gen touch. I wont get the time to take it apart!

I might just stick it on adverts for a ton and see if anyone is interested!

Thanks again!

Branners

• Advertisement
Advertisement