Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sercretary Diploma

Options
  • 20-03-2012 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi!
    Today I was in a Pitman training center and I got offered a lovely Secretary Diploma which seems really nice and includes a lot of great stuff. BUT... it is just ridiculously expensive.. 180hours = 3080Euro :( And I work as a waitress at the moment and that means that I wont be able to afford anything else, just work, eat and pay for that Diploma :D
    Who else has Pitman secreterial diploma? I have no previous experience in office work, so I am concerned if even after finishing this course I will be able to find a good job. And I am more interested in working from home, so I just want to know if it is worth it.
    Maybe someone can suggest a different course which is just as good, but a bit cheaper? I would also like learning from the comfort of my own home.

Any suggestions?

I will be happy for any info you can give me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

Hi, I did a Medical Secretary Certificate course with Pitman in 2010 (having had years of Secretarial experience behind me), I wanted to do something a bit more exciting in the office sector so opted for that course. Pitman are widely recognised and I learned a lot but I'm still not working. I'm more knowlegable about anatomy but that's not paying the bills!! I found it very hard to get a medical secretary job after the course, everywhere wants experience so for me it is like getting my first job after college! For the sort of fees that they charge, they should be providing students with work experience placements. I would love to have done the Diploma course but no way was I paying €3000. I don't think Pitman are anything special (from my experience). In hindsight, I'm sorry I didn't go for a FAS course. I've just a few mins ago enquired about a FAS course which there is no charge for but a huge waiting list. Check with FAS first or shop around or consider the Pitman Certificate course as a last resort but do not pay €3000 -- madness. If you do go with Pitman, haggle for a better price, I got them down from €1090 to €800 , they're not going to turn away your business so haggle.

I don't think there are a lot of home study office courses, I looked at open university in the Republic but I think they only do Business Admin or look at Kilroy's College, they might do office courses but they definitely do home study.

http://www.kilroyscollege.ie/
    http://www3.open.ac.uk/near-you/ireland//index.asp?ONBAN=ony1&MEDIA=ony_r12

Good luck, I hope you find what you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

I havent even done a course with them, but my experience with Pitman is that they're a sales company

can never give a straight answer by email because 'every course is catered to you'

As mentioned, a fas course is the way to go if you can get on one. Similar / same qualification, they do work experience, and little / no fees

They have Medical/Legal, or general office secretary courses

IMO, its just a very competitive industry, and very biased. I've no qualification, but skills wise I'm overqualified, but never hear back, not even for intern roles

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Optimus_Prime

I Agree with unreggd. Pitman Is nothing more than a sales company. their number 1 goal is getting that initial deposit off of you and you are put on the back burner whils they deal with the next possible sale.

Given the price they charge for their courses you would think that they would deal with their students in a better way.

My advice do a Fetac or Course. While they may not be "catered to you" as Pitman claim theres are You will at least get someone who is willing to assist you without looking for your cash

Optimus

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

I totally agree with the last two posters, I had call after call after call from the Sales people at Pitman before doing my course hasselling me for a decision. And I totally found that once I signed up (getting a discount of course), no more calls and I had almost finished my last course before I received my book so I couldn't make any notes as I had to use the college copy - outrageous! I found one person in particular in the Southern region college at the time (2010) abrupt and uninformative, infact some of the information I got about the exam was wrong. Would never do another Pitman course (in this country anyway). I know people have gotten themselves into trouble from the moderators but I am allowed to air my opinion I think??

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭kob29

Yea my friend had the same experience. Turned out the course she was looking at would have been her, at a computer with a set of headphones on, by herself with an online thing, no tutor etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

Personnally I wouldnt recommend you do a 'secretary course'. I done one in college it was a 2 year cert in office information systems and didnt find it much good to me. You would be better to do some accountancy or marketing or payroll, at least then you have a skill and you will pick up the 'general office' work when you start working. If you got a office job you would probably end up doing sales or bookkeeping work and having a qualification in one of those areas would help you get the job in the first place. Not many people have secretarys any more anyway. I ended up doing CPA accountancy so I would recommend going the accountancy route.

Advertisement