Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyst like growth on Boxer's forepaw. Opinions? with photos.

Options
  • 20-03-2012 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'd like to get opinions on this cyst-like growth on my folks' Boxer's forepaw.

It's like a little lump or swelling where the skin has become flaky and the hair fallen out.

It's been there a couple of weeks now and he's started licking it a lot the last couple of days apparently.

This will probably mean a trip to the vet, but I'd be interested as to what people think it is.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

I have a 9 year old cocker who has been getting these the last few years. They are almost 'wart like'. He too licks at them and they sometimes bleed.

At the start of each year Darby gets his teeth cleaned (as he always has bad tartar) and at the same time the vet removes the 'warts/growths'. The vet sends them away and gets them tested for cancer. Results always negative. Most of the cost is covered by insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seeing_ie

Yeah, my folks described them as wart-like alright.
    He must have been licking at it a lot because it scabbed over, but the scab has fallen away now.

So you reckon they could be a malignant growth? *gulp*

Seems like overkill for vets to get growths tested or cancer.

This boxer is about 2 1/2 years btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

seeing_ie wrote: »
    Seems like overkill for vets to get growths tested or cancer.

Maybe ring your vet and get some advice?

The reason why I got them tested was my vet did suggest cancer. That was the main concern. Also since my pet insurance covered it, it made no difference to me financially.

Last January Darby got 2 more removed. The last few years they seem to keep coming back - in different places too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

No one here can tell whether its cancerous or not so no point asking us if we think it could be cancer or not.
    We are not vets or qualified to make this conclusions, so you have to get your vet to look at your dog.

Clearly.

Thats why I said in the OP I was just looking for people's opinions and experiences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Dorothy Roxy

My 4 year old boxer has the exact same lump on her paw. I took her to the vets to get this checked as she had a tumer on her chest before which needed to be surgically removed but the vet gave this lump the all clear and said it was a wart. He did say he would remove it if it was bothering her but it hasnt bothered her at all so Ive left and just check it every week to make sure it doesnt get bigger or bleed.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭stevekavo

My boxer had 2 of these. 1 was on his sholder it turned out it was a malignant lump the other was on his back and this turned out to be a bee sting that got infected. You are best of getting it checked as the earlier detected the better. Although a boxer with a cone on the head is 1 really stubborn and sad dog.

seeing_ie wrote: »
    Clearly.

Thats why I said in the OP I was just looking for people's opinions and experiences.

You asked could it be malignant, how are we to know if it is or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Zara23

This doesn't look like much a growth to me- It looks to me like a simple lick granuloma, if you google it you will see. It's where the dog get the urge to lick the paw and this is the cause. We usually treat it with a Fuciderm cream which is an anti-biotic and a corticosteroid with anti-inflammatory to stop the itch. This will still require a Vet trip and I'm just giving you my experience. Boxers are prone to skin lumps that can be cancerous but this doesn't look like that to me to be honest.

andreac wrote: »
    You asked could it be malignant, how are we to know if it is or not?

No, in my OP I asked for opinion and discussion, then in conversation with a poster asked him if he reckoned it could be malignant.

Appreciate your helpful input andreac, I'd prefer to keep on topic from here.

• Advertisement

Zara23 wrote: »
    This doesn't look like much a growth to me- It looks to me like a simple lick granuloma, if you google it you will see. It's where the dog get the urge to lick the paw and this is the cause. We usually treat it with a Fuciderm cream which is an anti-biotic and a corticosteroid with anti-inflammatory to stop the itch. This will still require a Vet trip and I'm just giving you my experience. Boxers are prone to skin lumps that can be cancerous but this doesn't look like that to me to be honest.

Interesting. From looking at the photo on the wikipedia page, it doesn't seem to match.
    Canine_lick_granuloma.jpg
    Our boxer's is a much smaller area, with a definite wart/cyst like growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Dorothy Roxy

I will try put a picture up this evening of the one my Boxer has. As I said she had a tumor on her chest and comparing the tumor and the growth on her paw they are very different. The tumor appeared suddenly and grew very big over a matter of weeks, this growth on her paw hasnt changed at all since I first noticed it last November.

Bring the dog to the vet, the sooner you bring it the sooner you find out what it is. If it is cancerous i would be trying to get treatment asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

my dog has the same thing on his leg its where his elbow would be,its dark in colour though kind of black ish, hes had it for about 5 years with no problems untill last year when it was bleeding one day so i took him to the vet and the vet gave him an injection and some tablets and said that if its not ok after a couple weeks come back to the vet and he will take samples to send off, it appeared to be fine once the tablets were all gone and it hasnt bled since so i havent taken him back to the vet,i guess its just a wart or soemthing similar as the vet suggested this to me

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

They are caused by grass seeds & for some reason Boxer are susceptible. I have had four boxers & they all got them but my other dogs don't. I believe that the seed penetrates the foot & it can only travel in the direction that it enters. So it goes through the webbing & causes a lump. Usually they go down on their own but one vet lanced the lump & a seed came out.

Personally I would still pop him to the Vet as any lump can be very serious & it's better not to take a risk.

Take a look here if anyone doubts the damage that a grass seed can cause :eek:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73898789

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭pinkdaisy

Get that checked out by a vet. It could be a number of things. You didn't mention how old the dog was, but boxers have a higher risk of a particular type of skin tumour called mast cell tumours. Is the dog vomiting? Note any changes in appetite. As with any tumour, the older the dog, the higher the risk. Any skin mass in a boxer is worth investigation.
    Monitor it for any changes in size, shape, colour or consistency and mention those changes to the vet also.

Advertisement