Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pine Marten (was - dentify please... Mink / Otter / Pine Marten?)

Options
  • 20-03-2012 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭

Found this chap dead on the side road in South Co Cavan... lots of small rivers/lakes around, so I thought it might be an otter... I've seen Otters and Minks from distance (I'm living a very remote area), but nothing this close up. Then I thought it might also be a pine marten. My Running shoe is about 12 inches long... so maybe two or two and half feet long from tail to nose. He's been there about 3 weeks - I saw him there the last time I was on that road. I'm surprised a hawk or fox hasnt absconded with him.

Thanks,
    Muppet Man.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Definitely not an otter, the tail is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 tis a fine line

My guess is a pine marten. The teeth always strike me first when i see one, mink is darker in colour and much smaller. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

My guess is a pine marten. The teeth always strike me first when i see one, mink is darker in colour and much smaller. :)

First thing I thought when I saw the pic was a pine martin as well.

The tail is right, as well as the lighter colouration on the neck/underbody that is visible in the OP's pic. The snout is also screaming Pine Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Yes, I believe it's a pine marten. They are pretty common here in Finland. Here's a picture of one that was killed on a street in the city of Tampere:

elokuu3_003.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Thanks all, based on the second pic above, I would be going with a pine marten too... I was actually most surprised by the length of the hind legs.

Cool - thanks for all the inputs.

Regards
    Muppet Man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 mecksimay

Study on woodland mammals currently being undertaken in Ireland - looking for sightings of red and grey squirrels and pine martens. Check out www.woodlandmammals.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Thanks - I filled in their survey....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Calochortus

Most certainly a pine marten!

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

Most certainly a pine marten!
    definitely

Advertisement