Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crown fell out, quick question.

Options
  • 20-03-2012 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭

Had a crown fitted when I was a kid, about 12 yrs ago. It fell out this weekend and and skint, so here is what I'd like to get an idea of:

-if the crown is in ok condition, can it simply be cemented back on?

-I did not need root canal surgery when I got the crown, is it likely I will need this now? Is there any obvious signs I can look out for that would point to root canal being needed? At the moment, it's a bit sensitive to hot and cold, feels similar to a filling just after being done.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

It is most likely that this is a white filling as crowns are not really done on 12 year olds. A new filling is not terribly expensive and can be done by any dentist that is convenient to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sincere113

Post a pic of the crown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

It is most likely that this is a white filling as crowns are not really done on 12 year olds. A new filling is not terribly expensive and can be done by any dentist that is convenient to you.

Hi, no it is a crown, I had it done about 12-15 yrs ago, when I was about 14.

Its metal with some white stuff covering it. Cheers.

sincere113 wrote: »
    Post a pic of the crown.

don't have a pic off hand, but trust me, it's a crown, my dentist said it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Had the same at weekend, mine was fitted about 15 years ago, gold crown (?) - may just have the tooth extracted and cash in the gold...

Off to Dentist in few minutes, let you know what it costs!!

• Advertisement

cheers, not really looking for the cost, and would rather not have the tooth extracted. Just looking to see if crowns can be cemented back on , and if not and I decide to get a new crown, considering I didn't need root canal for the original crown, is it likely I will not need it for the new crown. Cheers all.

OP I doubt its a crown, I bet there is a bit gone out of your tooth that was previously white, this is a filling.

This is a crown
    dental-crown.jpg

This is a filling
    white-fillings-leeds-city-centre_220_299_s.jpg

OP I doubt its a crown, I bet there is a bit gone out of your tooth that was previously white, this is a filling.

This is a crown
    dental-crown.jpg

This is a filling
    white-fillings-leeds-city-centre_220_299_s.jpg

Hi Fitzgeme..I'm only assuming it's a crown as my dentist told me it was, is it possible she is wrong? It's on my bottom row of teeth, near the back, on one of the big chewing teeth (molar?). Anyway, when I was a kid, a hole developed in that tooth but I didn't tell my parents as I was afraid of the dentist:rolleyes:! I let it get worse and worse until half the tooth was rotten at which point I went to the dentist who drilled off all the decay . At this point there wasn't much tooth left visible..and he built it back up with a metal structure covered with white stuff.. I'd love if it was a filling, does it still sound possible? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Hi Fitzgeme..I'm only assuming it's a crown as my dentist told me it was, is it possible she is wrong? It's on my bottom row of teeth, near the back, on one of the big chewing teeth (molar?). Anyway, when I was a kid, a hole developed in that tooth but I didn't tell my parents as I was afraid of the dentist:rolleyes:! I let it get worse and worse until half the tooth was rotten at which point I went to the dentist who drilled off all the decay . At this point there wasn't much tooth left visible..and he built it back up with a metal structure covered with white stuff.. I'd love if it was a filling, does it still sound possible? Thanks

If it was built up on the tooth in one sitting- it is a filling...
    Crowns need to be made in the lab taking 2-3 weeks and then are cemented at another appointment...

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mc223

I'm only a dental student so may be miles off, but is it possible it is a pre-fabricated stainless steel permanent molar crown? Although doubt that would last 12 years???

• Advertisement

mc223 wrote: »
    I'm only a dental student so may be miles off, but is it possible it is a pre-fabricated stainless steel permanent molar crown? Although doubt that would last 12 years???

Possible but very few dentists outside of the dental hospitals actually use them. I always found them to be extremely tedious but crowns never were my thing...

Welcome to boards. Dental student where?

At UCLAN in the UK, hoping to come home in a few years but I've heard the job prospects aren't brilliant at the moment :mad:

mc223 wrote: »
    At UCLAN in the UK, hoping to come home in a few years but I've heard the job prospects aren't brilliant at the moment :mad:

Yeah, jobs not great at the moment especially for new grads, get some good experience in the NHS or Oz and then look at coming home and setting up your own place... Save some money cos its expensive....

That's the plan at the moment, best get saving!!

Just an update..back from dentist...

6 fillings needed and new crown:(
    €1070...:(

Thats a good price in all fairness

Thats a good price in all fairness

Yeah it does seem to be..its not my usual dentist..she quoted me 850 for the crown alone....so dropped into one of those cheaper chain group places and the cost of the crown is 600 so seems good if the work is up to scratch. Just didnt expect a bill that big and will have to borrow for it now..the other option is to get the molar extractred instead of the crown..not sure what to do.

Advertisement