Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlocked UK iPhone 4 wont work in Oz???

Options
  • 20-03-2012 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

hey guys - just checking to see if anyone has advice on this one...

i bought an iphone 4 off a mate of mine last year - it was originally a uk based phone tied to either the o2/vodafone network. I bought the phone from him unlocked and had been using the metor network although i do know that a irish vodafone sim was also compatible.

Today I bought a oz Vodafone sim, i put it into the phone, it started calibrating and up popped a message saying the sim was incompatibale to that origiinally provided by the carrier and to connect the carrier for more details....

How could this be if the phone is unlocked? any ideas how to solve the problem or will this be a non runner :rolleyes:?? im based in perth at the moment....i thought it would work anywhere in the world once unlocked...grrrr

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Try resetting the network settings (the phone will reboot itself).
    Settings-General-Reset-Reset Network Settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭bobbles87

zweton wrote: »
    Try resetting the network settings (the phone will reboot itself).
    Settings-General-Reset-Reset Network Settings.

thanks Zweton,

Unfortunately when i insert the sim it asks to ''activate iphone'' From there it then asks to wait approx 3 mins until i phone is activated, before the 3 minutes elapses the following message pops up:

''Only compatible SIM xards from a supported carrier may be used to activate iphone. Please insert the sim card that came with your iphone or visit a supported carriers store to receive a replacement sim card''

I have found out that the phone was originally locked to the Orange network in the UK and it was unlocked on the high street by a shop. At that time the phone was compatible with all UK and Irish sim cards, so I have no idea why it has locked out the oz vodafone one. As a result it has also locked out my meteor one....

I have no idea what to do, as i dont even have access to my itunes at the mo, thats on my desktop back home! Crap!!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mac_09

Hey,

Thats a strange one.

When I originally unlocked my iPhone through O2 I got this message also when I put in a Vodafone NZ sim card. I was lucky though that I had my original O2 sim and just had to be in wifi, plug into laptop and it came up with your phone as been successfully unlocked (or something along those lines).

Have you tried plugging it into iTunes and being in wifi and see if it comes up with anything on the computer?

If this doesn't work I would say bring it to one of those unlocking shops and they'll do it for you for a few $$'s.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

bobbles87 wrote: »
    thanks Zweton,

Unfortunately when i insert the sim it asks to ''activate iphone'' From there it then asks to wait approx 3 mins until i phone is activated, before the 3 minutes elapses the following message pops up:....

I have no idea what to do, as i dont even have access to my itunes at the mo, thats on my desktop back home! Crap!!

I would bet that you need to restore the iPhone through iTunes using your iTunes account to activate the phone in with the new carrier/territory.

Advertisement