Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hostels in Sydney

Options
  • 20-03-2012 2:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all, heading to sydney in a couple of weeks with 4 mates. Can anyone recommend any accommodation for us to stay in? We were told to look around kings cross area? Any help greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

Hi Op. If you can elaborate more on what you are looking for - might be able to better assist - clean, good area, don't mind paying a bit more / or cheap,cheerful, party central.

Have a look at sites like hostelworld.com and hostels.com for reviews - that's your best bet!

Anyway - here's some recommendations:

1) Jackaroo hostel - main strip Kings cross, couldn't be a more central location in King's cross, the entrance is directly when you come up the escalators out of the train station in the Cross. The strip in Kings cross is a pretty seedy area, but the best in the city for nightlife I think. This hostel is new, and it's getting some the best reviews of all the hostels in sydney at the moment.

2)Sydney Central Backpackers - also in Kings Cross, but a couple of streets back off the main st, so it'll be quieter at night, this one should be around the cheaper end of the scale - its a no frills kind of place but the craic is good! Not sure what you're after as I said, it may be a shock to the system some of the hostels here if you haven't done them before. My group of friends all met in this hostel about 4 years ago and some of them still do! My own bf lived there for 8 months and we've made the best of friends through it, often still go into the roof top area for drinks/bbq on a sat night.

3)Outside the cross area:
    Any of the YHA chain of hostels are usually really good - nice, decent facilities and clean. There's several around the City and places like Bondi - if you go onto the overall YHA site they'll all be there. Around Central station or Railway square is good location wise.

Also Wake Up Hostel (around Central station) is meant to be good.

And the other one I've heard about is Base - few of them also.

(These chains are generally a little more expensive than other hostels but it all comes down to what you are looking for as I have said)

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 brian_ie

Vry helpful thanks. Sorry I should have said we would more be looking for cheap and cheerful really.. Or pay the average price! Would just like it safe and secure, them ones on king cross sound good. Thank again for your reply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ronanh1981

brian_ie wrote: »
    Hi all, heading to sydney in a couple of weeks with 4 mates. Can anyone recommend any accommodation for us to stay in? We were told to look around kings cross area? Any help greatly appreciated!

Have stayed in 3 hostels in the Cross, Jolly Swagman and the Funkhouse were average, but we have just stayed in Sydney Central Backpackers and it is a very clean hostel with decent facilties. It is a couple of streets back as well so it is a bit quieter.

Advertisement