Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC Openweight Grand Prix

Options
  • 20-03-2012 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭

Just for a bit of fun, if the UFC decided to have an Openweight Grand Prix, who would you want to see in it and who would you think takes it? To keep it nice and short, let's say it's an 8 man tournament. and you must pick from current fighters on the roster.

I think it's tough to choose but I'd probably pick:

JDS
    Overeem
    Anderson Silva
    Jon Jones
    Cain Velasquez
    Dan Henderson
    Shogun
    Ben Henderson

Tough to pick a winner but I'd say it'd come down to a fight between Jon Jones and Overeem with Jones possibly taking it due to his wrestling and awkward style.
    I know I have Silva in there but I don't think he could take punishment from the heavyweights.
    And it might seem strange that I have Bendo in there but he's on a roll at the minute and I'd love to see how he'd get on even as a lightweight. I'd imagine he could bulk up no problem though.

So, who ya got?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Seeing as there is a 65lbs difference between HW and LHW, it is basically an Openweright division. Jones, Silva, Henderson all weigh within the limits for heavyweight when they fight. Silva wouldn't step up, he knows he loses his edge verses bigger guys and has said he isn't stepping up verses Jones at LHW.

Basically that leaves the HWs, which we'll see in the next few months. Cain to return for me.

Having Bendo in there is beyond stupid. Being on a roll means nothing if he is giving away 60-100lbs.
    Bulk up no problem????? How? Magic beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Mellor wrote: »
    Seeing as there is a 65lbs difference between HW and LHW, it is basically an Openweright division. Jones, Silva, Henderson all weigh within the limits for heavyweight when they fight. Silva wouldn't step up, he knows he loses his edge verses bigger guys and has said he isn't stepping up verses Jones at LHW.

Basically that leaves the HWs, which we'll see in the next few months. Cain to return for me.

Having Bendo in there is beyond stupid. Being on a roll means nothing if he is giving away 60-100lbs.
    Bulk up no problem????? How? Magic beans.
    As I said its just a bit of fun. I realise Silva wouldn't step up and I also know the UFC wouldn't have such a tournament, but I was simply asking the question who would people LIKE to see involved in it. It's purely a hypothetical question.
    And I put Bendo in because as I said I'd just like to see how he'd get on. And he's already fairly big for a lightweight so packing on a bit of weight probably wouldn't be a problem. I'm not saying he'd come in at 265 or anything but I think he'd be able to pack on a bit.
    Jesus its only a hypothetical question for a laugh, no need to bite my head off man!

I'm aware its hypothetical. Obviously it can't ever happen as this against the unified rules.
    But my point was that only HWs would stand a chance or be interesting to watch, so this basically the current HW division plus Jones.

Where did I bite your head off?
    I said having Bendo in there is stupid. That's my opinion, and I stand by it. He weighs maybe 165 lbs. How much do you think he could pack on easily? He would still be dwarfed by even the smaller guys listed above imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Why would you wish such a bad beating on Bendo, what did he ever do on you.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Why would you wish such a bad beating on Bendo, what did he ever do on you.
    He beat Edgar and lost me a few quid!

• Advertisement

I'm aware its hypothetical. Obviously it can't ever happen as this against the unified rules.
    But my point was that only HWs would stand a chance or be interesting to watch, so this basically the current HW division plus Jones.

Where did I bite your head off?
    I said having Bendo in there is stupid. That's my opinion, and I stand by it. He weighs maybe 165 lbs. How much do you think he could pack on easily? He would still be dwarfed by even the smaller guys listed above imo.
    Yeah I know and I realise he wouldn't have much of a chance against those guys, as I said its just for a bit of fun.
    Against Edgar he looked like a big Welterweight and he's improved a hell of a lot since coming to the UFC. I'm still not saying he'd beat any of those guys but it'd be fun to watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

If it was a month away, I'd say JDS and I wouldn't give Jones or Silva a chance let alone Dan (even with his giant killing backgound) or Shogun

IF they all had at least 8 months to bulk starting now then I'd give Silva a chance against anyone of those, a chance, he could make 225lb without fat and one punch any one of those guys out, but on the other hand Jones could win it easily... given 8 months to bulk he'd walk in at 235lb no problem.

In this order:
    JDS, Jones, Overeem, Cain, Silva (given 8-10 months and enough of a monetary reason... like a straight $10 million for the winner)

Actually when it comes down to it I reckon MMA should lose a few weight groups and stick to small<150 mid<200 and large 200+.... while they're at it lose a few rules, make the gloves even smaller for grappling and make it one ten minute round..with no decision just win, lose or draw... just think it would be better.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

You couldnt have an openweight tournament without Minowaman! Even though he wouldnt stand a chance against any ufc quality fighter >= LHW of course, but still..

butterbean_minowa.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

I'd bet the farm on Overeem.

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    I'm be willing to take that bet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Ian Whelan wrote: »