Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Certain fighters not speaking English?

Options
  • 20-03-2012 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

What do you think of fighters who hit the big time yet don't bother to learn English?

I respect fighters like Pacquiao, Sergio Martinez, Miguel Cotto who put in the effort to learn the language. Though there are some fighters like Roberto Duran, who never bothered to learn the English.

I have heard Erik Morales, Barrera, Julio Cesar Chavez Sr on youtube speak English a bit during there interviews, they were able to sometimes understand the question and could sometimes answer back in English. That is nice of them.

What is yer opinion? Should fighters who become big in English language countries put in the effort?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

What do you think of fighters who hit the big time yet don't bother to learn English?

I respect fighters like Pacquiao, Sergio Martinez, Miguel Cotto who put in the effort to learn the language. Though there are some fighters like Roberto Duran, who never bothered to learn the English.

I have heard Erik Morales, Barrera, Julio Cesar Chavez Sr on youtube speak English a bit during there interviews, they were able to sometimes understand the question and could sometimes answer back in English. That is nice of them.

What is yer opinion? Should fighters who become big in English language countries put in the effort?

I don't know if they should, but I imagine it's better for their career if they do. It makes it easier for fans to relate to them. Barrera speaks quite good english. Never heard Morales speak it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Absolutely not. It might be beneficial in terms of marketing themselves in English speaking countries but you know what else is great for promoting themselves in English speaking countires? Winning fights!

Whats most important for a boxer is what he does in the ring.

I do however like a "modest" out of the ring persona regardless of the language.

Maybe "proffesional attitude" would be a better phrase than "modest"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭corny

Why should there be any obligation on them to learn English?

Its obvious it might benefit should they choose to but an obligation to learn the language is completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

If you want to build up a fanbase abroad the English language would definitely help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

sorry but f**k english why should that be the centre of anything. more people speak spanish anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

Yes, i'd like to echo the point that it helps them connect with their fans. Imagine if Pacquiao never spoke English. I dunno, i'd sorta look at him in a slightly different light. (Obviously his fists are the most important thing!)

Regards Morales, I was watching Morales-Barrera II and Jim Lampley said something about Morales was talking to the press in English before hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

No, why should they have to learn the language if they don't want to?

If they want to better be able to market themselves in English speaking media then it makes sense, but if they don't care about that then there is no other reason for them to if they don't feel they need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,189 ✭✭✭✭walshb

makl wrote: »
    sorry but f**k english why should that be the centre of anything. more people speak spanish anyway.

The world doesn't see it like that, makl.

Maybe in numbers Spanish is spoken more, and it's damn close. But widespread language and the language of the world is English.

I agree with a few here saying that having the language should be advantageous.

The following is a list of languages in terms of the number of countries where each is spoken. The number that follows is the total number of countries that use that language (from Weber, 1997):

English (115)
    French (35)
    Arabic (24)
    Spanish (20)
    Russian (16)
    German (9)
    Mandarin (5)
    Portuguese (5)
    Hindi/Urdu (2)
    Bengali (1)
    Japanese (1)

There's a massive widespread difference here. English is by far the dominant language of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I respect fighters like Pacquiao, Sergio Martinez, Miguel Cotto who put in the effort to learn the language.
    Does Martinez speak English? Must be fairly limited if he does. He spoke in Spanish for the post-fight interview with Larry Merchant on Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

walshb wrote: »

Maybe in numbers Spanish is spoken more, and it's damn close. But widespread language and the language of the world is English.

The following is a list of languages in terms of the number of countries where each is spoken. The number that follows is the total number of countries that use that language (from Weber, 1997):

English (115)
    French (35)
    Arabic (24)
    Spanish (20)
    Russian (16)
    German (9)
    Mandarin (5)
    Portuguese (5)
    Hindi/Urdu (2)
    Bengali (1)
    Japanese (1)

There's a massive widespread difference here. English is by far the dominant language of the world.
    I'm not sure where you got that list from, but it is rather odd. I am sure there is at least one person in every country that speaks English. I am sure there is at least one person in every country that speaks French. I am sure there is at least one person in every country that speaks Spanish. So that list is meaningless.

English is the most spoken second language, hence it has commercial merit for a person seeking fans and/or commercial endorsement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I dont know about anyone else, but Trash Talk just isnt the same coming through a translator!

English (115)
    French (35)
    Arabic (24)
    Spanish (20)
    Russian (16)
    German (9)
    Mandarin (5)
    Portuguese (5)
    Hindi/Urdu (2)
    Bengali (1)
    Japanese (1)

If people or countries want to speak it thats fair enough, but holding people to account for not speaking it is ridiculous. i don't see why anyone should lower their estimation of anyone who chooses not to learn english

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

So basically, you want them to learn English because you couldn't be bothered to learn another language to understand them?:rolleyes:

Victor wrote: »
    English is the most spoken second language, hence it has commercial merit for a person seeking fans and/or commercial endorsement.

Exactly.

There are many links and lists that one can find online to back up their argument that English is the worlds dominant language in a widespread sense.

I won't get into a linguistics debate here on the boxing forum. But I think it's safe to say that the language is probably the worlds most influential and widespread, and commercially used. For this I believe it's a valuable asset in terms of an athlete marketing him or herself.

makl wrote: »
    If people or countries want to speak it thats fair enough, but holding people to account for not speaking it is ridiculous. i don't see why anyone should lower their estimation of anyone who chooses not to learn english

I wouldn't hold it against them, but I guess what folks may be saying is that surely they could try and learn it and make themselves more accessible and marketable and connectable to a much wider audience. Many of these athletes compete in dominant English speaking regions and countries. Makes sense for all if they can converse freely in these countries and regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

I wouldn't hold it against them, but I guess what folks may be saying is that surely they could try and learn it and make themselves more accessible and marketable and connectable to a much wider audience. Many of these athletes compete in dominant English speaking regions and countries. Makes sense for all if they can converse freely in these countries and regions.

They may compete in regions where English is the dominant language but that doesn't mean the sport is aimed purely at English speakers. The sport is broadcast all over the world. Should English speaking fighters then also be forced to learn a second language such as Spanish which is not far behind English as one of the most widely spoken languages in the world?

They may compete in regions where English is the dominant language but that doesn't mean the sport is aimed purely at English speakers. The sport is broadcast all over the world. Should English speaking fighters then also be forced to learn a second language such as Spanish which is not far behind English as one of the most widely spoken languages in the world?

If they are competing in PPV and areas where Spanish is the dominant language, then yes it would make sense for them. But, they are not. At least not the HBO and Top Rank fighters. America targets English speakers, simple as that.

Fights in Britain also target English speakers. Fights in Oz and Canada too. I know I am stating the obvious.

Like I said, not holding it against them, but if your big fights are in the States, broadcast to mostly English, by HBO and the likes, then it could be a an idea to try learn that language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

I never said fighters should have to learn it, and that it is very wrong in them not doing so.

Please read the topic title, then the first line in my post and then the last line in my post. I just want to find out yer opinions on fighters who don't speak English.

I never said fighters should have to learn it, and that it is very wrong in them not doing so.

Please read the topic title, then the first line in my post and then the last line in my post. I just want to find out yer opinions on fighters who don't speak English.

you also wanted to put forward your own view which whether you meant it or now, implied that you like it if they do, you said nothing about how you feel if they don't.

"I respect fighters like Pacquiao, Sergio Martinez, Miguel Cotto who put in the effort to learn the language."

"I have heard Erik Morales, Barrera, Julio Cesar Chavez Sr on youtube speak English ... [they] could sometimes answer back in English. That is nice of them."

"Imagine if Pacquiao never spoke English. I dunno, i'd sorta look at him in a slightly different light"

The confusion is in the word "should"

Is it a good idea if they do? if they or others think that helps them gain fans, fair enough. But saying "they should", like "you should drink less" or "you should be careful crossing the road" ... no way. there is no obligation on them to do so, and we're in no position to suggest they should.

@risetothetop: what do you think of boxers who don't "bother to learn english"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

I dont know about anyone else, but Trash Talk just isnt the same coming through a translator!

53EPy.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭tryingmybestt

It makes commercial sense for a fighter to learn English as it allows ppl to connect with the fighter more...

I prefer to understand a fighter in an interview rather than through a translator....

I don't think a fighter should be criticised for not learning english though

It makes commercial sense for a fighter to learn English as it allows ppl to connect with the fighter more...

I prefer to understand a fighter in an interview rather than through a translator....

I don't think a fighter should be criticised for not learning english though

agree wit 1 & 3, not too bothered either way about second point, the fighter will prob speak more from heart if in his own language

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Fighters should have no obligation to learn any additional language

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭megadodge

I couldn't give a crap what language a boxer speaks.

I'm only interested in how they fight!

Two of my favourites were Duran and Barrera, neither of whom I've ever heard speak a word of English.

In fact I find most boxers' interviews pretty boring - "first I want to thank the Lord my saviour..... me and my team worked so hard.... I'll fight anybody.... (name) was offered x by my people and he refused..... blah, blah, blah".

megadodge wrote: »
    In fact I find most boxers' interviews pretty boring - "first I want to thank the Lord my saviour..... me and my team worked so hard.... I'll fight anybody.... (name) was offered x by my people and he refused..... blah, blah, blah".

Yeah, couldn't agree more. Oh, if only some were remotely as articulate and interesting as Ali was. That goes for the world of sport too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

If they can Box to legendary standards like Barrera and Duran no 1 will care, but for the regular boxer it will have bif effect on their potential career-should they have to? no.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Advertisement