Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MRI Locations

Options
  • 19-03-2012 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi all,

Not sure if this should be posted here, so feel free to move this to another thread.

But I've had a recurring injury that has if anything has just got worse with physio/rest/exercises over the past month.

I've been advised off my manager to go get a MRI scan to diagnosis the issue once and for all.

My question is:

Where is the best place to get an MRI scan?

What is the cost?

How long would I be waiting to get the scan and the results of the scan?

Any help would be appreciated? Feel free to DM.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭outnumbered82

If you have health insurance you can get one straight away. I needed one have health insurance and got one in 2days where a friend of mine with no insurance had to wait 6 months.

To get a scan you need to go to the doctor and get him to refer you to the hospital for the scan and then its just a waiting game.

You can pay for a scan in vhi clinics or private clinics.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭leedslad

I've used these guys before.Got an appointment through quickly. A bit expensive but if the club insurance is picking up the tab then go for it.
    http://www.euromedic.ie/home.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You should ensure that you get a medical professional to examine and write a referral/instruction letter prior to getting the scan. They'll need that to identify the exact area to focus the imaging on. Location will depend on where you are based and how you are paying. If the club is paying cash, likely you can go anywhere - many smaller private clinics now have MRI scanners.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I'd be inclined to look for a more qualified opinion as to whether you need an MRI.I don't think a club manager is the person to make the call!!Maybe talk to gp about referral to the appropriate professional. Not much point in an MRI on your upper back if the real issue is elsewhere.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Cross-post with Marcusum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 hurler_87

Marcusm wrote: »
    You should ensure that you get a medical professional to examine and write a referral/instruction letter prior to getting the scan. They'll need that to identify the exact area to focus the imaging on. Location will depend on where you are based and how you are paying. If the club is paying cash, likely you can go anywhere - many smaller private clinics now have MRI scanners.

I've planned to go to my GP this week for the sole purpose to get the referral.

My physio is treating the injury primarily - but it is recurring within a couple days afterwards regardless of rest or doing the exercises.

To be honest, it's nearly peace of mind I'm looking for... as it has been ongoing for a couple of months.

Can physios refer people for MRIs?

I'd be inclined to look for a more qualified opinion as to whether you need an MRI.I don't think a club manager is the person to make the call!!Maybe talk to gp about referral to the appropriate professional. Not much point in an MRI on your upper back if the real issue is elsewhere.

Agree - it's not most expert opinion I'm going to get off the manager. But as mentioned above, it's more my own peace of mind!

Thanks for all the replies by the way!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭leedslad

hurler_87 wrote: »
    I've planned to go to my GP this week for the sole purpose to get the referral.

Can physios refer people for MRIs?

Yes,for Euromedics a health professional's (physio) referral will suffice.
    At least this will save ye €50 at the GP if it's your club physio

leedslad wrote: »
    Yes,for Euromedics a health professional's (physio) referral will suffice.
    At least this will save ye €50 at the GP if it's your club physio

Cheers for that...

€50, where's that GP ha ha? Maybe a topic for another day ha!

Advertisement