Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Billiejosies bibliotheque

Options
  • 19-03-2012 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

This is such a good idea! I read alot, even at lunchtimes in work so it makes sense to keep track of what I'm after finishing.

I just finished reading The Woods by Harlen Corben. I've never read any of his books before but I have to say I loved this. Engrossing thriller with genuine twists along the way, I devoured this book within a day I was so eager to find out the ending. Really enjoyed it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭billiejosie

Next one that I've finished today was Play Dead by Harlen Corben.

Very enjoyable thriller, however it didnt seem as slick as the previous one I read, The Woods. Still full of twists but just feels a bit more amateur. I'd still totally recommend it though!

Have to to add this time!

The first is from the Ross O'Carroll Kelly series, Mr S and the Secrets of Andorras Box. I'm re reading the series at the moment but I had finished the others before I set up this log, hence this is the first one mentioned!

I love the ROCK series, always makes me laugh/ He is getting a bit more serious I suppose with the character growing older etc. However I still loved this book, even if it isn't the strongest in the series.

The other book I just finished is Caught by Harlan Coben. This was hands down one of the best thrillers I have ever read. Genuine twists, even when I was guessing what the outcome could possibly be, it was just captivating to read. Highly recommended.

The latest one I've finished is another Harlan Coben, Miracle Cure. Its about a murderer that seems to be primarily targetting gay men. It evolves from here though into a very gripping story with the usual plenty of genuine twists. I cant tell too much about the plot because it would just take away the suspense. Really enjoyed this one.

Just finished the last so far in the ROCK series, Nama Mia. They're definatley more serious than the earlier books but still very enjoyable. Still plenty of laughs but I like how now that he is older we see his relationship with the other characters in his life delevop.

Also finished the slightly off series book of the ROCK series We need to talk about Ross. It is a basically a series of interviews with Ross and his family and friends to get an insight into the true relationships between them all. This was my second time reading it, the first time I was a bit impattient so didnt take much of it in. Howver re-reading it this time I learned a lot of information that added to the development of the chracters, very good.

• Advertisement

Deal Breaker

Another Harlan Coben book. This one with his sports rep/investiagator Myron Bolitar. Really enjoyed this one, wasn't as easy to predict the outcome as it has been with others.

Agatha Raisin and the Well Spring of Death

This is one of a series by M.C. Beaton, that stars Agatha a 50 odd year old amatuer detective living in the country where, surprise surprise, people get murdered so she has to solve it. I have definately read better but it's very easy reading enjoyable. An even simpler Midsomer Murder :)

McCarthys Bar

It took a while to get into it, but once I did it was worth it. Very funny man, he travels around Ireland stopping off in different towns and narrates his encounters. I found his style of anecdote telling very similar to that of Bill Bryson, a humour that I love. Very enjoyable.

Murder on the Orient Express

It's actually embarrasing that I have never read this book until now, seeing as I am such a massive Agatha Christie fan. I am pleased to say however, it was worth the wait. Once again, Christie just presents such a genuinely decent plot without compromising on quality. Every loose end is taken care of, but without having to resort to fatastical notions to tie them altogether. Simply put, I loved it.

Cop Hater by Ed McBain

I think its fair to say that I did enjoy this book but the ending let it down slightly. I know others would not agree but I felt the story was really strong up until the end where IMO it just unravelled. A the same time it was very enjoyable and definately had me wondering whodunnit. I'll read another Ed McBain before I make my mind up if I like his style.

• Advertisement

Magic by Tami Hoag

Well this one I didn't like. It got off to a promising start but then just fell flat on its face. Really did not like one of the main characters at all so that did not help.

Its meant to be a love story with a bit of the supernatural thrown in. Well it was just annoying, you think Bella Swan is irritating? Try this one, Rachel, arggh!!

I'd still try another Tami Hoag beacause I read a preview of Ashes to Ashes and that got my attention right away. Magic on the other hand can just sod off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭pavb2

McCarthys Bar

It took a while to get into it, but once I did it was worth it. Very funny man, he travels around Ireland stopping off in different towns and narrates his encounters. I found his style of anecdote telling very similar to that of Bill Bryson, a humour that I love. Very enjoyable.

Also enjoyed this the author Pete Mccarthy had a warmth and told a good tale sadly died in 2004.

What I thought funny and he does it quite a bit throughout is he'll say something like we passed a shop where the smell of freshly baked bread made my mouth water, so I popped in to the pub next door and had a pint.

pavb2 wrote: »
    Also enjoyed this the author Pete Mccarthy had a warmth and told a good tale sadly died in 2004.

What I thought funny and he does it quite a bit throughout is he'll say something like we passed a shop where the smell of freshly baked bread made my mouth water, so I popped in to the pub next door and had a pint.

I completely agree when you say "he had a warmth", that is exactly what I found but I couldnt describe it. He just did ordinary things but yet I felt his emotion throughout it, especially the end (I admit I got a bit emotional!). Really glad I read it.

50 Shades of Grey

Yep, I finally gave in and read the most criticised book of the year, and dear lord it was awful!
    The main female character is the most naive fool I have ever come across in a book, no doubt it is meant to make her more innocent and lovable but all it does is make me want to scream at her! Its not even that dirty to be honest, and the ending is shocking quite frankly. Avoid! (Not that you needed me to tell you :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭pavb2

Hi BJ hope you got some summer reading in. So putting you on the spot would you recommend Harlen Cobain & if so which one?

pavb2 wrote: »
    Hi BJ hope you got some summer reading in. So putting you on the spot would you recommend Harlen Cobain & if so which one?

Hiya pavb2, I keep meaning to update with my reading list, so many books so little time :)

So Harlan Coben, I would highly recommend without a doubt. There's 2 that come to mind immediately from the few that I've read.

1st is the one that I mentioned in a previous post, Caught. Very gripping, genuine twists along the way. You seem to enjoy Agatha Christie from reading your log (my favourite author) so should like this, modern day version.

The other I would recommend is Gone for Good. Now this one is slow, you will wonder where its going. Stick with it, cause when I finshed it, it really had an effect on me. I still dont know if that was good or bad but it was pretty powerful. Let me know how you get on :)

Cross Bones by Kathy Reichs

I decided to give Kathy Reichs book a go since I am a massive Bones fan.

To be honest, it was grand. Yes there was a whodunnit element which is exactly what I look for so I was pleased with that. The book just didnt grab me or hold my attention consistently. To be honest though, I feel that was down to my ignorance. Reichs went into a lot of detail explaining the history of Christianity (the whole story is surrounded around the idea that a skeleton found could be that of Christ) and it just wasn't my cup of tea. I have another of her books though to read so willing to give another try.

Can you Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella

This was a really entertaining book, really light hearted and genuinely funny. The main chartacter was very likable and also I found very relateable with her normal everyday life events. Granted they might be exagerated slightly but I could still identify with all her thoughts and reactions. I'm blathering slightly, but I really did enjoy this book, one of the better chick lit reads I've found!

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

I don't normally read older more classic books but since I thought this was a murder mystery I said I'd give it a go.

It's the story of a shy ladies companion who marries the rich Maxim de Winter and finds herself competing with the memory of his dead first wife, Rebecca.

It's a good read, if you like the slower approach with a lot of descriptive language. There is a nice twist towards the end which definately pushed it up higher in my estimation. All in all, its worth a read as long as you are not expecting a fast paced thriller.

Advertisement