Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Theft while travelling abroad

Options
  • 19-03-2012 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

If you are contemplating traveling South to Spain this Summer, please be aware that theft is rift. You will have read about this type of theft it in many of the Motor Caravan Magazines. Some friends of mine were traveling down through Spain and they were told that they had a puncture, this happened at a motorway toll booth. Firstly have plenty of loose change to pay the toll. If this happens let one stay in the motorhome with all doors locked, the same at a service station when filling diesel. You will say that will never happen to me. Don't you believe it, these people were experienced travellers, being coming to mainland Europe for many years. It was not the amount of money that they took, it was mobile phone and passports thast were most missed. Remember your passport is your identity, you will not be able to get money at a bank without it, as your form of identity. It also happened to anothe coupe that I know at an airport, their bag was taken while on the lift in the airport. It had been placed on top of the trolly, it was not a handbag but a piece of luggage. Always, seperate passports and money, and carry them on your person. If you are driving, be sure to obey the speed limits.
    You Have Been Warned.
    Safe Driving.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭niloc1951

I second all the above, in fact I believe I may know the couple mentioned.

Please remember that the favourite MO of the pond-life who struck these people is to create or just avail of an opportunity to damage a tyre in such a way that it will have a reasonably fast 'slow puncture'. When the victim pulls in a fer Km's down the road the pond-life arrive to help, while the occupants are distracted off goes the handbag and any other valuable easily 'lifted'.

ALWAYS watch out for people hanging around or approaching your vehicle when you're stopped, and this advice applies not only to Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭noel farrell

spain very bad this year, all kinds of crime rife. break and entering mugging hand bag snatching the lot,... we had a very costly lesson two weeks ago we had just arrived apt cleaned out 1200 cash in fairness it was not well hidden 6 floors up very good locking system we were told it was safe . were in at the time my wife saw door open and close we ran to hall the were gone in lift ,,,,the must have been let in with a key cops say it is a gang with inside imfo i know this could happen in my home town.... went to the cop shop that was fun it was market day fuengirola a long bench of white chickens spanish nick name for irish and english tourist , after being plucked , after a long wait the wrote a report end of story be careful

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭muint

We were robbed while we slept in our MH. They picked the lock and grabbed a wallet from under the dash which we stupidly left there. I never forget the fright I got when I heard the locks pop up. Next noise I heard was the handle opening and that was it. Saw no faces thank God. This happened in an aires de service south of France. Lesson well learned - DO NOT park in a service station anywhere. Stay safe...

Advertisement