Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any point in doing 7 honours leaving cert subjects?

Options
  • 19-03-2012 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

I realize, its rather late to be dropping a subject but it may be the best idea.
    I'm so unsure what decision to make.

I am thinking of dropping leaving cert HL Irish but with the new course it may be a bad decision as I think I could do well in it.
    I don't feel I'll fail HL irish if I keep it up but I'm unsure whether I'd even end up counting it.

Would it be better to keep on the 7 HL subjects or drop one in order to concentrate on 6 ?

I'd appreciate any help/advise!! :)
    Thank you.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 93 ✭✭smurphy11

depends, what subjects are you doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

EDmon wrote: »
    I realize, its rather late to be dropping a subject but it may be the best idea.
    I'm so unsure what decision to make.

I am thinking of dropping leaving cert HL Irish but with the new course it may be a bad decision as I think I could do well in it.
    I don't feel I'll fail HL irish if I keep it up but I'm unsure whether I'd even end up counting it.

Would it be better to keep on the 7 HL subjects or drop one in order to concentrate on 6 ?

I'd appreciate any help/advise!! :)
    Thank you.

The main benefit of doing an extra HL subject is to have a 'backup' in case one goes wrong on the day. If you've gotten this far into 6th Year and been able to cope with 7 HL subjects, why not keep it up? What if one of your 6 HL exams goes miserably in June, and you could've done better on the HL Irish paper? You'd be kicking yourself :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

If you can pass it without putting any more work into it, stick with it. It looks better to have seven honours, and it might end up being a useful back-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Seems like everyone I know is thinking of dropping HL Irish atm! At this stage, I think you should keep it. You've put in all this work and if you drop it now you'll have wasted it all. Just put minimal work in from here to June and sit the higher paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

You would be closing all access to the NUI's.

• Advertisement

How? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

you have to have sat Irish at some level to get into the NUIs unless you have a letter of exemption from NUI for being born outside the country for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Neodymium

Only if you fail Irish at higher or ordinary level. The level is irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

Togepi wrote: »
    How? :confused:
    you have to have sat Irish at some level to get into the NUIs unless you have a letter of exemption from NUI for being born outside the country for example.
    Neodymium wrote: »
    Only if you fail Irish at higher or ordinary level. The level is irrelevant.

Ah my bad, I thought this lad was on about dropping the subject not the level, silly me! :rolleyes:

Ah okay. As far as I know though, the OP has no intention of dropping Irish. They're just considering dropping down to ordinary level.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Er, the OP isn't saying they are dropping Irish - only dropping HL Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

ha i read the OP the same as a few others. he does say "drop a subject" not "drop down to OL" so understandable I think.
    Honours Irish isn't going to get you anything extra unless you want to do primary school teaching or study irish itself in Uni. If you're really struggling then maybe it is a good idea.
    I wasn't great at Irish and was a D student all the way through the LC years but in the actual exams I got a C2 and I didnt' do any extra work after April really, just focused on Maths and my science subjects really. It is nice to say you've done all honours and shows you had the commitment to do all honours but apart from that, nyeh.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭EDmon

Thanks for your opinions, :)
    yes I was considering dropping to OL rather than not doing the subject!.

You guys may be right at this stage if I study for it minimally it may be a good backup!

If I'm to do it I'll probably o some sort of course for oral work over the Easter which again is yet more :pac: €€ on the LC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I think if you're capable the best option for the LC is to sit 7 honours. Drop it if you feel its taking too much time away from other, stronger subjects, or if you won't meet the requirements in it (passing it with a D3 isn't enough for most courses remember!).

Put more work into the other 6 if you think you'll do better in them, but you never know, something might go wrong on the day with one of them and an extra 5 or 10 points from Irish might be the difference in getting the course you want!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Keep up the HL Irish if you are able for it. As others have said, if another subject goes badly on the day it could be your backup.

I considered dropping to OL Irish when i was doing the leaving, even though I was passing with Ds and sometimes Cs. Anyway I kept it up and in the end got a B3. I ended up counting it for points and wouldn't have got my first choice course without it. Had I dropped to OL, I would have counted one of my other subjects (I did 7 HL subjects too) and it wouldn't have been enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 finnianc17

No offence intended but people considering dropping irish are crazy ! 40% for oral and 10% in the listening ? That's half of your marks before june ! I was considering dropping it until i got 86% in my mock oral and only 43% in my written ? Overall i got 67% so it payed off! Do not drop H irish

Advertisement