Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheaper suburbs of Melbourne?

Options
  • 19-03-2012 7:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Can i ask ye what areas would be the cheapest price wise for shared accomodation for a couple? Can be anywhere in the city bar St.Kilda (stayed there a few days and didnt think much of it). I know a fair few on here are living in the city a while so i would appreciate any info to try save the bucks.

Cheerssmile.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

How far out of the city are you looking ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

15/20 mins on the tram! Not too familiar with the city yet so thats just a rough idea? Is zone 2 on the tram a long way into the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Living further out will increase your transport expenses, especially if you have to get a cab after a night out.
    Generally west and north will be less expensive, but you might feel a bit isolated if you go too far. I would stay within 8-9km of CBD if you've just arrived/ for first couple of months, otherwise you'll risk having no life and may start to resent the place. That distance can be 30-40minutes on the tram. To be honest 15 minutes on a tram is no distance. St Kilda is further out than that.
    Generally you will pay more to be near the water ie St Kilda,Elwood.
    Richmond is close to city but now quite gentrified so may not be a bargain.
    Carlton and Nth Carlton bit $$ plus lots of students so competition, West Melbourne, North Melbourne, collingwood, Abbotsford should be cheaper.
    Brunswick is becoming gentrified but still a good spot and great transport. Fitzroy has become too trendy and $$.
    Northcote pretty nice but may be too far for you. If you have time between job interviews etc take tram, train out to these spots and see what you make of them.
    I started out south of Yarra but eventually drifted north and I find it cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Moonee Ponds is a great Spot. 10-15 Mins on the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Like Cooperspale I started South and moved north, now live in Brunswick. Its well connected by train/tram to city, takes about 15-20 mins into Melbourne Central in morning, tram bit slower and painfully packed at peak times so I tend to avoid them. Lots of relatively affordable places around here and great local bars and cafes.
    As mentioned above Moonee Ponds is good option too, it has great transport links but is bit more family oriented suburb and not as many bars etc. I like it over there though as it has a nicer community feel to it that surrounding suburbs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Define cheaper? What is your weekly budget?

Cant really define cheaper as im not familiar enough with how much i should be paying and for what suburb. Its all new to me:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

I stayed in St Kilda East last year (Balaclava, Ripponlea area). Very nice spot, and away from the core of St Kilda, but still near lots of great cafes. Didn't find the area too expensive. Now in Brunswick and I'm paying roughly the same, a small bit less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Have a look in this Thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72661522

It has a lot of info on places to live in Melbourne

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

zweton wrote: »
    15/20 mins on the tram! Not too familiar with the city yet so thats just a rough idea? Is zone 2 on the tram a long way into the city?

Zone 2 on the tram would take a fair time to get to city center. A train from zone 2 wouldn't be too bad. I would say definatley looks towards living near train station rather than looking for somewhere close to tram stops if possible. Especially if working in the city.

• Advertisement

Some great info there guys, thanks a million :)

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

04072511 wrote: »
    I stayed in St Kilda East last year (Balaclava, Ripponlea area). Very nice spot, and away from the core of St Kilda, but still near lots of great cafes. Didn't find the area too expensive. Now in Brunswick and I'm paying roughly the same, a small bit less.

Did ya ever have a few pints in the Local Taphouse? My second favourite bar in Melbourne, many a pint been sunk there after work!

Advertisement