Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wilderness Camping ?

Options
  • 19-03-2012 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Anyone know if it's possible to camp out in the Dublin/Wicklow mountains.
    I ride my Motorcycle through the mountains a lot and often considered just taking a tent some weekend and heading off into the mountains for a camping trip but don't know if its safe, and if it's allowed ?(Possibly a dumb question!)
    Any clubs that do it ?. Any recomended spots ?

Don't fancy traditional campsites as there are often full of pissed up teenagers !

Cheers !!!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,113 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Do a search fo this forum - question asked and answered (with lots of info) a good few times.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 christy grendon

Hi yea doing, Did you know that if take the white trail in Glendalough and hike up past the old miners village you can camp there . You will be in the middle of nowhere .

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

If you are talking about the upper Glenealo valley then you are possibly still within what the WPNP consider the Glendalough valley in which case no camping is allowed and this is enforced. Either way this link gives further advice

http://www.wicklowmountainsnationalpark.ie/WildCamping.html

For general info the upper Glenealo valley it is very boggy at the moment

Please note that camp fires are currently not allowed within the park under any circumstances

There was a group of p*ssheads camped adjacent to the tinder dry Coronation Plantation last Easter with a huge fire roaring and blowing sparks over the river to the plantation. They left in the morning leaving all their crap including (unbelievably) fishing line and hooks with sheep grazing all around

Just proves once again you do not need to go to the circus to see clowns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

There was a group of p*ssheads camped adjacent to the tinder dry Coronation Plantation last Easter with a huge fire roaring and blowing sparks over the river to the plantation. They left in the morning leaving all their crap including (unbelievably) fishing line and hooks with sheep grazing all around

Just proves once again you do not need to go to the circus to see clowns

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest. A while back, some ***** had a mini rave in a farmer's field in Glenmalure. The left the place a shambles, all their rubbish, broken bottles, the remains of their bonfire, they even did doughnuts in a knackered old car around the place. They threw their tent into the river, and burnt everything else. Absolute pricks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 christy grendon

I myself have camped there , although it was a few years ago, and I did get permission. The rules may very well have changed since then, and Im not surprised after reading some of the replys to this thread. Isnt it sad that there will always be some little clueless bxxxxxxd that spoils it for everyone..... DRAFT the lot of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 keano08

is there anywhere surrounding dublin for wild camping?

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

the last time i went camping was in glendalough. i took the tough route up the spink heading for lug and camped there. I wass just outside the boundry for the park but camping is allowed in the park as long as its away from roads and tracks and waterways. info on the website. weather was grand considering i did it in the middle of November i got lucky. A small tent stove for hot meal leave no sign camping practice all the way. had a great time and got up early on my last day at around five. packed up and hiked down spotting some deer on the way back, got the early bus at nine back to dublin. even had time to flush my waste in the public toilets so i didn't completely stink the bus out of it.:D the ranger office at the upper lake was very helpful i left a copy of my route and planned camping site on a photocopied map that i was using which may seem over kill but you never know. rather be looking at it than for it. st kevins bus service is great for getting to and from glendalough. leaves you right at the visitor center. One piece of advice is the bus does not stop at the visitor center in the morning i called and the driver said he would stop off to collect me but be aware that in the morning the bus leaves from lara a five minute walk from the visitor center. Happy camping

Advertisement