Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me something other than the usual Cr*p...

Options
  • 19-03-2012 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    Excuse the title but as it says, I am pretty much fed up of drinking the same crap pints in pubs these days and I am looking to get into the wider world of beers...

I have tried some stuff (Leffe, Hoegarden) etc which were nice enough but I dont think I am too fond of wheat beers. I find myself craving a clean crisp refreshing beer if that makes any sense.

Can anyone recommend a few beers that I could get started with?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭ronano

For starting off I'd recommend giving blue moon (in loads of offies and dunnes, it's designed to be kinda mass market so i think is a nice starting point) or try and black sheep ale (tis crisp to me and is in tescos along with offies). Anchor steam, Sierra Nevada are also good, I love odells double pilsner.

People may scoff at my choices but they were pretty much what i started off with and went on to more adventurous stuff.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bill G

If you are in Dublin today (Monday), why not try the Irish Craft Beer fest on St. George's dock. Went last year, you can sample a whole bunch of beers, and they are all Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Blackjack

ronano wrote: »
    For starting off I'd recommend giving blue moon (in loads of offies and dunnes, it's designed to be kinda mass market so i think is a nice starting point) or try and black sheep ale (tis crisp to me and is in tescos along with offies). Anchor steam, Sierra Nevada are also good, I love odells double pilsner.

People may scoff at my choices but they were pretty much what i started off with and went on to more adventurous stuff.

:)

Good recommendations!.

Samuel Adams Boston Lager is pretty decent, probably no longer in the "craft" mould, but definetly could be considered a Pioneer of the same.
    Personally I'm a big fan of anything Sam Adams or Sierra Nevada, never been disappointed by anything they've ever produced. Same could be said for the Brooklyn range.

If you want to try the Irish, recommend Galway Hooker, or the 8 Degrees Sunburnt Red, or their Howling Gale.
    Metalman Pale Ale or Trouble Brewing Ór are also very good. I'm kinda hoping the Metalman crew will have Windjammer released as a permanent rather than a seasonal sometime - IMO, probably the nicest Irish beer I've had.

Availabilty also depends on where you're located. Pubwise if you're in Dublin, check out the following pubs and tell them what it is you like and ask for a taste of what they have to offer
    Bull and Castle Christchurch
    L Mulligan Grocer of Stoneybatter or WJ Kavanagh Dorset Street.
    Against the Grain (Wexford Street) or the Black Sheep (Capel/Parnell Street)

Off licences
    Martins in Fairview
    Drinkstore in Stoneybatter (across from L Mulligan Grocer)
    Next Door offy across from Superquinn on Sundrive Road in Kimmage
    All the above have a very decent selection.

Also check out Beoir.org who have a directory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I would add to Blackjack's suggestions O'Hara's range of beers, and the Franciscan Well's beers too. All delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

If you have an iPhone, search for the Beoir app. It will show you countrywide anywhere that serves Irish Craft beer and if it has the Irish stuff, chances are there will be some foreign craft beer as well.

Available on Android also but not sure if it's officially released.

• Advertisement
Advertisement