Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New fantasy football rules

• 18-03-2012 5:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭

I was having a listen to the fantasy football scout podcast the other day and one of the lads proposed slightly different rules for next years ff, whereby each player doesn't get any wildcard but gets 5 free transfers to use as they like during the whole season. What do you think of that? You could use these 5 extra transfers whenever and even all in one go.

http://www.fantasyfootballscout.co.uk/2012/03/15/the-scoutcast-episode-72-the-third-man/

About 16-17 mins in. New idea anyway to think of.

What are peoples opinions on the two wildcards?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I'd agree with it. 1 wildcard is enough. Two makes it too easy. The idea of 5 transfers to be played at any time is good though.

People should be penalised for getting caught out with a poor team after Christmas. The second wildcard means come January most people have 90% of the same players after they play their wildcard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

You need a wild card in Jan, as it's unfair to penalise people if their team is changed as a result of the transfer window.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 beslowboy

I would keep one wildcard but allow players to roll over as many free transfers as they like to "make" another wildcard if they wished or just use 3-4 when they need to. It would add another layer of planning and strategy to the game. The second wildcard aims to bring back casual players into the game but ends up with everyone having the same team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,961 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think there should be two wildcards with one being August-early September just like the January wildcard. I don't think there should be one that runs through the whole season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

I said it before and I'll say it again the squad size should increase from 15 to 18 players (same as the actual PL). One extra def, one extra mid, and one extra att. 20% increase in budget to compensate. It's ridiculous how similar teams are this year. The increased squad size would mix it up a bit, and make week-by-week selections that bit all more important, managing would be a bit more difficult, but tbh that's what I think the game needs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

The fact there were essentially three wildcards this year made for a weird year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

Yeah the main problem this year was the F-up at the start. Knowing who the first players were to hit form 2 weeks in and being able to adjust your whole team for free is what made so many teams alike.

Can't really blame the Jan WC on that, everyone had the same block of players long before then. We even evolved together, as we realised the likes of N'Zogbia and Moses weren't worth it.

I think the "same team" problem more stems from the fact that those of us who bother to visit a forum for team help (ie, all of us) are likely to find a lot of ground where we all agree on certain players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

carlcon wrote: »
    Yeah the main problem this year was the F-up at the start. Knowing who the first players were to hit form 2 weeks in and being able to adjust your whole team for free is what made so many teams alike.

Can't really blame the Jan WC on that, everyone had the same block of players long before then. We even evolved together, as we realised the likes of N'Zogbia and Moses weren't worth it.

I think the "same team" problem more stems from the fact that those of us who bother to visit a forum for team help (ie, all of us) are likely to find a lot of ground where we all agree on certain players.

Having the likes of FISO and FF Scout at your fingertips makes for a similar recipe for next season I think

They're brilliant sites, but like you said, ends up with everyone singing from the same hymn sheet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

I don't think there is need for major changes in the game.

And I don't really agree with the "teams getting similar because of WC" statement. In my opinion, the new stupid way of working the price changes is the main reason. They removed all the weighting on price changes this season for unflagged players and worked some kind of unfair mystery rules for flagged players. As a result, when a player is performing his price is sky-rocketing and vice-versa if he's not. This leaves you with 2 almost irreversible choices: jump on the bandwagon and make a rapid huge profit from the player risking being in trouble for selling him if he underperforms or ignore it quickly risking never to be able to transfer the player in unless drastically accommodating your team for it. As a side effect the choices are reduced as it's very risky to go for a gamble as not only you might lose big points but you'll also potentially lose a lot of "cash power" reducing thus your freedom of choices transfer wise.

As I said previously I'd like to have a ranking including the points on the bench and without the captain. Not as the official one though... as much as it's annoying to lose out from wrong captain or bench points, it's part of the game in the end. Just as a comparison with the official one. But that's just a detail...

I think we should be able to keep all the saved transfers, not only one. And in that case, maybe remove 1 WC.

Also, what's with the 50% loss on the profit when you sell a player? If they put the weighting on price changes back, they could remove that "raping".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Should Defenders/GK maybe get 5 Points for Clean Sheet, and 8 Points for Goal?

That way the game is more about whole team, rather then just Midfielders and attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭PopTarts

That way the game is more about whole team, rather then just Midfielders and attack.

GK / Defenders get rewarded for clean sheets - that's primarily their role.

The 6 points they get for scoring is enough.

I don't think the point system needs to change.

I'd like to see GK / Defenders awarded more bonus points though - BP's are always going to be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

I agree something should be done about defenders, they shouldn't lose as much as a GK for conceding, and should get more for assists/goals.

A defender might have not been at fault at all and played a perfect game from his side, but will end up on 1 or 2 points due to another player f**king up.

Perhaps deduct 3 points from a Defender for conceding, and give them 4 for an assist, 6 for a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

If you give more points to defenders, you also have to increase their value. So it'll end up same-same with most defenders being bargain buys, ignoring the expensive ones.

The top defenders are only 40-50 points behind the top midfielders... and we're talking about a 4m price difference. That seems fine to me.

And why stop at defenders? Why not add a new system to make defensive/holding midfielders more worthwhile? It would require way too much of a point overhaul to make each player/position "equal".

I think it's fine as it is. You pay the big money for the big scorers, and work on bargaining in defence. The premise is as good as you're gonna get.

The only thing I agree with there is giving more points to the keeper... but only for assists and scoring. A goal should be worth about 10, then 5 for an assist. Almost never happens, so the points should reflect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

I really like the idea of allowing free transfer to accumulate, because I hate the feeling you get when you have 2 frees but are perfectly happy with your team. You feel like you have to make a change as otherwise you're wasting a transfer.

I think one wildcard is probably enough but I can see why they brought in the January wildcard and I don't see that changing.

Perhaps go back to the old bonus point system or at least rethink the weight given to goals and winning in the new system.

One other change that could be interesting is taking on the recovered balls rule in UCL, where a player gets 1 point for every 5 RBs. Would increase the potential of the likes of Song and Lucas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

I really like the idea of allowing free transfer to accumulate, because I hate the feeling you get when you have 2 frees but are perfectly happy with your team. You feel like you have to make a change as otherwise you're wasting a transfer.

I think one wildcard is probably enough but I can see why they brought in th January wildcard and I don't see that changing.

Perhaps go back to the old bonus point system or at least rethink the weight given to goals and winning in the new system.

One other change that could be interesting is taking on the recovered balls rule in UCL, where a player gets 1 point for every 5 RBs. Would increase the potential of the likes of Song and Lucas.

100% agree with all of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

I think we should get the full price of a player when we sell them. Not that stupid 50% thing. It means we hold on to players far longer than we want just so we don't lose value.

I also think the Jan Wildcard should be scrapped...

..and replaced with a 'wild captain' where for one GW of your choice, every player in your team gets double points :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

I think we should get the full price of a player when we sell them. Not that stupid 50% thing. It means we hold on to players far longer than we want just so we don't lose value.

I also think the Jan Wildcard should be scrapped...

..and replaced with a 'wild captain' where for one GW of your choice, every player in your team gets double points :D

I don't think that would be a good idea, it would mean we all end up with the same teams even quicker then we do already. The idea is to keep people from having more case then they know what to do with. So if someone gets a player early and makes some money on them they can then adapt there team if they sell them by maybe having 2 top class strikers for example while not loosing anything from their midfield.

I kind of like the idea of letting transfers build up. But if this was allowed I think that we should not have any wildcards.

Advertisement