Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Illustration course at BCFE

• 17-03-2012 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hello,

I was wondering has anyone done the Illustration course at Ballyfermot college of further education, and if so could they please tell me a little more about it? What kind of stuff did you do, etc.

Also any tips for the interview? :)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Hey! I'm an AIH student, just a month or so off finishing my first year and it's very enjoyable.
    The modules consist of;

- Life Drawing & Figure Studies (drawing nude models for five hours, anatomical studies)
    - Exploring Illustrative Style (gets you to try a multitude of styles before settling on your own)
    - Representational Illustration (realistic fully-rendered drawings of objects)
    - Media, Materials & Techniques (making a variety of books, puppets and other 3D craft)
    - Materials & Processes (engaging in different mediums and how to apply them)
    - Art History (self-explanatory - lectures, gallery visits and exclusive talks)
    - Computer Design & Application (worknig in the digital environment, Photoshop and Illustrator)
    - Printmaking (exploring different classical print techniques, e.g. drypoint, acetone transfer)

You do maximum three projects per module in the first year, which is what you result is based on - no continous assessment.
    It's a fairly easy-going if hectic course, the lecturers are great and have experience in what they teach (most of them teach on the side in fact). Lots to learn, regardless of what you've previously studied!

Since your post dates the 17th I presume you've had the interview, how did you get on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

^^^ Hey, nice bit of info.

Two question if you have a chance.

What is the average age on the course, are there many maturies?

Anywhere on the net that I could see a sample of the course work?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭briscotti

I have also been looking for work samples online to no avail. Interested in print making course too and can't find samples of that work either. I guess there will be an end of year exhibition coming up soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭briscotti

oh, I obviously didn't look very hard - http://www.bcfe.ie/studentswork_art_agp.php :)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

FlashD wrote: »
    What is the average age on the course, are there many maturies?
    The average is mid-twenties. I can only speak for my class though. Lowest age is 19 and highest is 31 I think.
    FlashD wrote: »
    Anywhere on the net that I could see a sample of the course work?
    Well here's a blog with people that graduated from the course last year;
    http://freakypicnic.blogspot.com/

And here's the blog most of my class are participating in;
    http://www.28-illustrators-later.blogspot.com/

The guys who should be graduating this year have an end of year exhibition in Farmleigh House this month I think, I'll post back when I get a solid date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Keelman91

Hey guys, I too am also interested in this course, and have gone for courses in Ballyfermot before, I now regret not deciding to go there, as Illustration would deff be more suited to me, Currently just finished 1st year in GMIT art and design, ..and yeah, fine art..dont go there :L ..heres hoping things work out and I get to ballyfermot too, instead of having to go to England to do Illustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Yogi IP

Hi, just looking for any insights into job prospects for Illustrators after completing the Illustration course at BCFE?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Graphic Designer

Hi. Most go freelance. Some great successes, but it's tough enough going working as a freelance illustrator. I know many of them from my time studying on the Graphic Design Higher National Diploma there. Quite a few of the graphic design graduates work as illustrators too (a couple of them are members of the Illustrators Guild of Ireland). The graphic designers also have plenty of graphic design skills too (obviously), and most of them work in studios around town. Maybe graphic design is the way to go if freelancing full-time isn't quite your thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭shiftkey

Hi. Most go freelance. Some great successes, but it's tough enough going working as a freelance illustrator. I know many of them from my time studying on the Graphic Design Higher National Diploma there. Quite a few of the graphic design graduates work as illustrators too (a couple of them are members of the Illustrators Guild of Ireland). The graphic designers also have plenty of graphic design skills too (obviously), and most of them work in studios around town. Maybe graphic design is the way to go if freelancing full-time isn't quite your thing...

Hi Graphic Designer,
    Am I right in thinking that you are replying to a question that was posted last May?

I'm not sure how Boards work exactly when it comes to what the criteria is when it comes to listing members posts - is it relevance or date?

Thanks.

Advertisement