Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 Euro Airport Development Tax

Options
  • 17-03-2012 3:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,252 ✭✭✭✭

This absolutely pisses me off big time. You pay for your flights,accomodation,parking etc. And to add insult to injury these people want 10 Euro a head to fly from their horrible airport. This stupid charge is supposedly a 5 year thing. This started in 2007. So we should see the end of this feckin thing soon. Yeah?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Neworder79

gammygils wrote: »
    This absolutely pisses me off big time. You pay for your flights,accomodation,parking etc. And to add insult to injury these people want 10 Euro a head to fly from their horrible airport. This stupid charge is supposedly a 5 year thing. This started in 2007. So we should see the end of this feckin thing soon. Yeah?

Have you noticed Galway closed to commercial traffic because it couldn't break even? Shannon under threat from €100 million debt, Waterford, Donegal & Kerry just kept going by Government favor.

The reality is that the department of transport can no longer provide large operational grants to regional airports, nor do taxpayers have an appetite for subsidy to loss making private businesses in hard recessionary times of cutbacks.

The departure fee model might annoy some people but it's probably the the difference between having a thriving airport and route network in the west and yet another failure. Without it they wouldnt be able to self finance and develop, and may have sank in debt. The fees would have to be passed to the airlines meaning many of the low cost carriers wouldn't touch the place.

The region doesnt have the population and high yield business traffic of other countries to support the cost of running an airport. Best hope is as they continue to grow and reach critical mass, revenues improve they may be able to reduce the fee or other charges in coming years, but don't bank on any business abandoning a working model.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

Personally I'd happily pay it everytime rather than having to go through the hassle of dublin; 3 hour drive, long term parking, shuttle bus, long queues to check-in, more queues through security, long walk to departure, and all in reverse on the way home too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Most airports have a charge which is included in the cost when you book your ticket. When you book anything through knock you are adviced that you will have to pay a fee at the airport.

If you think knock is a horrible airport now, you must have never used it about 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

This absolutely pisses me off big time. You pay for your flights,accomodation,parking etc. And to add insult to injury these people want 10 Euro a head to fly from their horrible airport.

If you don't like the charge and you don't like the airport, why don't you just fly from a different one?
    So we should see the end of this feckin thing soon. Yeah?

No.

Your taxes pays for the running of Shannon Cork and Dublin even if you dont use them, Does that piss you off ?

Your taxes do not pay for the running of KNock, the passengers that use knock via the development levy does that. Maybe you should spend the money travelling to Dublin or Shannon instead of complaining about a local service 20 minutes from where you live in Tuam.:rolleyes:

You can bet if Shannon goes private they will follow Knocks example and then you will have to spend 70 euro travelling to Dublin for the enjoyment of long queues just to avoid your 10 euro charge. Not very bright are you ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I figure the €10 is cheaper that the €40 petrol/train fare it would cost me to get to Dublin Airport to fly from there.
    I don't relish paying it but ho-hum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭coup1917

Even if they charged €20 a go, i'd still use Knock over Dublin.
    There is nothing more satisfying when you are flying home after a flight, to be able to stroll out of the airport, hop in your car and be home in under 3/4 hour with virtually no traffic.

Its a no frills service - if you check in online with carry on luggage, you can nearly turn up half an hour before your flight and be on time..

Still, if you'd rather drive up to Dublin at 4 or 5 in the morning, or book into Bewleys overnight at what €70 - €80.. then have a 2.5hr journey ahead of you after you return, be my guest - we won't miss you...

To have a local airport providing this type of service in these times is nothing short of amazing, and still you get idiots complaining about a €10 charge..:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Christ, we can't even get funding for a proper road in this region. I generally find most flights out of Knock are also much cheaper than the same location from Dublin...

With Galway airport now gone and Ryanair not flying out of Shannon, you should be thanking your lucky stars we have Knock....

Bigger picture for once........:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,252 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Thaks lads anyways. For TOTALLY TOTALLY missing the point!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Thaks lads anyways. For TOTALLY TOTALLY missing the point!!!

What was your point? If it was something other then what has been covered here in this thread by other posted I am afraid I missed it too.

What I gather is you don't like paying the ten euro fee and think the airport is terrible. Both points have been dealt with by other posters but if there is some other hidden point I fail to see then please be a little more clear so we can benefit from it.

Re the 5 year thing. I hope they do not stop it as I can imagine it is what is keeping the airport afloat.

Limericks wrote: »
    What was your point? If it was something other then what has been covered here in this thread by other posted I am afraid I missed it too.

What I gather is you don't like paying the ten euro fee and think the airport is terrible. Both points have been dealt with by other posters but if there is some other hidden point I fail to see then please be a little more clear so we can benefit from it.

Re the 5 year thing. I hope they do not stop it as I can imagine it is what is keeping the airport afloat.
    Right! Ye just don't get it. Airport Development Tax = Millions Of Euro. Airport Development = ???????? Oh! Except for the new booth for actually collecting the tax. 1st time was a chipboard counter & a biscuit tin & a hand written receipt ( I kid you not!) Development ??????

• Advertisement

Your taxes pays for the running of Shannon Cork and Dublin even if you dont use them, Does that piss you off ?

Your taxes do not pay for the running of KNock, the passengers that use knock via the development levy does that. Maybe you should spend the money travelling to Dublin or Shannon instead of complaining about a local service 20 minutes from where you live in Tuam.:rolleyes:

You can bet if Shannon goes private they will follow Knocks example and then you will have to spend 70 euro travelling to Dublin for the enjoyment of long queues just to avoid your 10 euro charge. Not very bright are you ?
    Mayomaffia!!! The sheer irony of that!! Not very.......

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Neworder79

Right! Ye just don't get it. Airport Development Tax = Millions Of Euro. Airport Development = ????????

What are you expecting, gold plated seating benches? Yes I'd like to see more passenger side upgrades, more space with better retail and food options. But they operate on a shoestring compared to the DAA airports, and have to virtually give the airlines free use of the facilities to attract in routes.

It costs huge amount of money to maintain and run the infrastructure, services and technology needed at an airport including ATC, Meteorology, Navigation aids, Fire & Safety, Handling, Security, Runway clearing equipment, Fuel Farm, Utilities, IT, Insurance, Marketing, not to mention training and general payroll costs for 120+ staff.

In the last few years there have been several capital projects completed which may not all be obvious to you but are of major significance to safety and supporting growing airline operations. Some other planned developments were held up with planning objections by An Taisce, such as a much needed redesign of entrance roads, parking and set down areas. A major apron extension and pier were also planned, I'm sure if they had the "millions" sloshing around these projects would be well underway as they are vital to continued growth. In the last 5 years they have part funded the following projects:

- New Departure terminal and retail area. €5m
    - CAT 2 Landing system €2m
    - Runway end turn pad and safety areas extension €4m
    - Runway inspection road and fencing
    - Apron overlay €1m
    - New handling and snow clearing equipment
    - New fire tenders
    - Campus CCTV security and access system
    - Automated flight information system
    - Garda / customs facilities
    - Business lounge

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Just to add - 'Airport Development' relates to route development as well as infrastructure development. To get airlines to fly to Knock charges are likely to be very low. To maintain operations the development fee helps to offset the low costs offered to get airlines in. The end result is a widening choice of sustainable routes which is also a form of 'Airport Development'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Knock is an airport we should all be very proud of.:D

Advertisement