Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offered a job halfway through a fetac course

Options
  • 16-03-2012 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I'm coming towards the end of the Business Studies/Secretarial Fetac Level 5 course. I have started to apply for jobs for when the course finishes. I applied for a full time position as a receptionist in a hair salon. I was told to attend an interview on Tuesday 20th March. The problem is I neglected to include the fact that I have not yet finished the course but I have listed the course on my C.V.
    I also have working as a receptionist in a laser clinic on my C.V which is part of my work experience module in the course?
    There was no start date on the advertisement for the job.

I don't know why they offered me the interview because of the course or because of the experience in the clinic.

What do I do?
    Should i attend the interview?
    If I do what should I say?
    Is there any possibility I will get the job despite not yet being finished the course?
    Is there anyway I could come to an agreement with the school where the course is held, to finish the course while not being able to attend?
    The course I attend is a PLC course and I'm not sure when it finishes does anybody have an idea?

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,184 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Go to the interview and explain exactly what the situation is. Tell your tutor at college and I think you will find they will go out of their way to help you both take the job, if you are offered it, and finish the course. You will probably have to take time to do exams, but I think all the course work is probably finished at this stage.

Getting a job is what the course is about!!

Try and get a reference from your work experience.

Good luck

Edit: the course ends around 1st June, but I think you will find you will be free to take up work before then. Do talk to your tutor.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭canttellyou

Thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Have you checked when the course really ends? In our centre, our FETAC Level 5 exams are being held the week after Easter and that's it.

We have two weeks after easter, then the exams, so there could be a variation.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭kob29

Yep you need to check when the course ends, if its a vec course exams are probably starting within a week or two after easter hols so you'll probably be finished in a few weeks.

They'll probably start with interview with the "tell us about yourself question", so say that you're currently in the finishing stages of a your course, recently completed your work placement in xxxx and learned a lot, liked that kind of environment and so you know this is what you want to pursue.....and go on from there.

These days you have to chase up those opportunities, do your best with it and it's in the lap of the gods after that, at the very least you get interview experience.

• Advertisement

thanks

Just as a general comment, there is a difference between when you are 'free' - after the exams - and when the course finishes, which is usually early June. This matters if you are dealing with Social/trying to 'sign on'.

Ok I found out the course is officially over on 30th may.

Advertisement