Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The National Broadband Plan

Options
  • 16-03-2012 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭

You heard it here first folks. The Minister has a new time-wasting wheeze lined up to replace the current one when it passes on to its final reward. Its called 'The National Broadband Plan' and it will be ready 'later this year'

But first, the bad news.

The Minister was asked two fairly simple questions by Deputy McFadden. ie to say if, and when the Broadband Taskforce report would be published.
    To ask the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources if the report of the broadband taskforce will be published and the date of same; and if there will be a period of public consultation on the report..
    http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2012-03-15.490.0&m=1064#g493.0.q

and the reply
    The Next Generation Broadband Taskforce (NGBT) has proven to be a very useful forum for detailed discussions with some industry stakeholders on their views regarding the optimal policy required to facilitate investment in next generation broadband infrastructure. The Taskforce is currently finalising its deliberations. I expect it will conclude its deliberation in the coming weeks. The next steps, following completion of the NGBT report, will be to bring the report to Government before consulting with the wider public for their views. Building on the work of the Taskforce, it is my intention to publish a National Broadband Plan for Ireland later this year which will set out a range of policy commitments and actions aimed at accelerating the rollout of high speed broadband across Ireland.

So, having traded on the Broadband Taskforce for over a year as the answer to our broadband crisis, it appears he is not now going to publish the report. You'd have to ask why not.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

Promises, promises, promises - he'll have pups first before any politician will live up to their promises - Thanks for info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭clohamon

Good news after all, the taskforce report will be published (in full, lets hope) and there will be a period of consultation.

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Press+Releases/2012/Minister+for+Communications+Pat+Rabbitte+says+Investment+in+Broadband+infrastructure+is+essential+fo.htm
    I look forward to the publication of the Task Force Report as soon as it has been delivered to Cabinet. It is an action plan in its own right but I think it will provide a good basis for a wider debate with individuals and business consumers about what they, or indeed you, think needs to be done.

We will be looking for a quick reaction though, because the second strand of this initiative is also very important and I will be going back to Government with my own proposals for what the State needs to do this summer.
    The suggestion that we (the public) might be the cause of a delay in his broadband plan, is a novel idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭chris2008x

Isn't it funny how everything needs a task force in this country. Just do what needs to be done ffs.

Advertisement