Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to Malaysia and Thailand. Buying Pro DSLR and need Advice!!!!

Options
  • 16-03-2012 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi Lads,

Im heading off on the 1st of July for 4 months of traveling before hitting OZ!!!

I just sold my D7000 on Adverts and am looking to pick up a new camera.
    Im just wondering if anyone has any advice on buying in the Airport or am i best in buying in Kuala Lumpur??

Flight lands in KL, then Ill be in Thailand, Which do you think would be best???

Im looking at getting one of the following, they go in order of preference:

Nikon D800
    5D Mk 2 or 3
    7D

Really keen on the D800 tho.

If anyone helps me out ill post them cheap stuff home from either places, whatever their looking for :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Should've just kept the D7000 and bought more glass :D

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭emrys

why not a second hand d700?

d800 looks amazing but 36mp pics and travelling for 4 months? your going to fill up a lot of memory cards...!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Coolin325

Thanks mate, yeah well i have a few cards here from my 7000 and ill be bringing the laptop with me so everything will be copied to that every night anyway..

Anyon know the release date for that here, or price>?
    Says 2300 Euro over there body only i think

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭emrys

Coolin325 wrote: »
    Thanks mate, yeah well i have a few cards here from my 7000 and ill be bringing the laptop with me so everything will be copied to that every night anyway..

I think the pre-orders on the d800 start shipping the end of the month, so depending on demand I reckon it will be June before it is available over the counter - d800 body only is £2099 sterling on amazon (about €2500) right now so not a huge saving on the malaysian price - Would you get an international warranty if you buy it in KL?

yeah i think so mate, looked into that, i just have to be careful :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Prices in Dublin here > http://www.berminghamcameras.ie/store/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I found that the KL prices for camera gear were much the same as Australia less the GST. (10%)

You've picked the wrong stop over if you wanted to go camera shopping. Hong Kong or Singapore are the places you should have selected.

Looking at a D800 body myself, and maybe a lens for it. Will buy that in Australia and get it 30 days before travelling out somewhere to get a GST refund. It could cover a fare to NZ.

CabanSail wrote: »
    I found that the KL prices for camera gear were much the same as Australia less the GST. (10%)

You've picked the wrong stop over if you wanted to go camera shopping. Hong Kong or Singapore are the places you should have selected.

Looking at a D800 body myself, and maybe a lens for it. Will buy that in Australia and get it 30 days before travelling out somewhere to get a GST refund. It could cover a fare to NZ.

What's the price like for the body and lens in oz??? Ill tell you where I'm going try tell me where you think would be best.

Kl
    Borneo
    Philippines
    Tokyo
    Bangkok
    Hong kong
    Vietnam
    Laos
    Singapore

I'm going to them countries in that order and would preferably like to have the good camera at the start but if you think hk would be the cheapest I'll defiantly hold out.

What kind of camera should I get to keep me going until I go HK, I'll mainly be doing landscapes and street photos.

Seen a d3100 on adverts for about 350 or 400 would that be ok???

Lastly any idea how much the camera and body are in HK?

Thanks loads lads for the help, honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

I got a canon 60d delivered to me for around this price a while ago http://kakaku.com/item/K0000168320/?lid=ksearch_kakakuitem_title

you should be able to pick it up at that price in akihabara in tokyo. i checked the bermingham link up there and that is 200 euros cheaper.

so if you want to check prices in japan go to kakaku.com and type in whatever camera you're looking for.

if you buy here the manuals and all that will be in japanese, the cd has manual in english though, but also the charger will be different.

not sure what the prices would be like in HK.

having taken it to KL, Borneo and Thailand i can confirm that yes, you do what to get it early on in your trip. ;)

As for holidaying check out reggae mansion in KL, the kebun in Kuching and definitely go to Bako Park too. While you are in Japan go to an onsen, and check out Shibuya in Tokyo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Not sure with a lens. The Body only price was AU$3000 but I see it has risen now to $3295.

You get the 10% GST back if you buy it within 30 days of departure.

Have a look at DD Photographics.

• Advertisement

just-joe wrote: »
    I got a canon 60d delivered to me for around this price a while ago http://kakaku.com/item/K0000168320/?lid=ksearch_kakakuitem_title

you should be able to pick it up at that price in akihabara in tokyo. i checked the bermingham link up there and that is 200 euros cheaper.

so if you want to check prices in japan go to kakaku.com and type in whatever camera you're looking for.

if you buy here the manuals and all that will be in japanese, the cd has manual in english though, but also the charger will be different.

not sure what the prices would be like in HK.

having taken it to KL, Borneo and Thailand i can confirm that yes, you do what to get it early on in your trip. ;)

As for holidaying check out reggae mansion in KL, the kebun in Kuching and definitely go to Bako Park too. While you are in Japan go to an onsen, and check out Shibuya in Tokyo.

Ah mate thanks

Great advice :) thanks for the notes on places to go :)
    I'm really excited now.
    Anywhere else's???

Thinking of chagning hong kong to Taiwan, any advice on which is better??

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Sorry for derailing this thread from photography.

I haven't been to HK and I was only stopping over in Taiwan for 2 days, but it was very cool. Lot's to do and see and very easy to get around. Got up early and saw people practicing tai chi in a few parks, real cool. Might be more culture available than in HK but yeah I haven't been there. Probably cheaper than HK. Stayed in a cool hostel called the cat's pajamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Ah mate thanks

Great advice :) thanks for the notes on places to go :)
    I'm really excited now.
    Anywhere else's???

Thinking of chagning hong kong to Taiwan, any advice on which is better??

I'm only back from Thailand today . I'm bloody freezing !!! I was actually checking prices over there on a d700 compared to Irish prices . Thai price 1700 euros equiv compared to Irish price 2300 roughly speaking. I don't know about international warranty.

I bought my d200 5yr ago in hk . The vendor was an online seller my mates had dealt with before with no probs so I arranged to pick it up at his premises . At the time he was about 700 euro cheaper than Irish prices.

The big touristy shopping street in hk is called Nathan road . Full of gadgets I mean everything you can want . It's all grey market if that's the right term? . If I had bought it from one of them . The camera would have been cheaper again. But I've heard some dodge stories where you ain't buying the real mac coy they don't give you all the bits etc. So you have to be careful etc

The real camera shops that I checked out were normalish prices on cameras.
    that's all going back 5 yr ago

Grey Market is not illegal. It's parallel import. You just have to watch the warranty issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

CabanSail wrote: »
    Grey Market is not illegal. It's parallel import. You just have to watch the warranty issued.
    And of course the import duty and VAT when you bring it back to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

mdebets wrote: »
    And of course the import duty and VAT when you bring it back to Ireland.

Once the camera has been used . They can't do ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

dev100 wrote: »
    Once the camera has been used . They can't do ya.
    Of course they can.

Advertisement