Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Southgate in London

Options
  • 16-03-2012 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Anyone have any experience of living here?

Have been offered a job in Enfield and am looking to live in this area.

Is it too far away from the City?

I wanted to live in Clapham but i'll have to get 3 trains to work and back so looks like that's out of the question! :mad:

Does anyone know any nices places to live near Clapham that would make it easy to commute to Enfield?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

I know people living in Enfield who like it but it's a bit too far out from central for me to be honest. It's on the Piccadilly line so if you lived in Finsbury Park you'd be nearer central london and the tube ride to work wouldn't be too bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Recently moved up this way and it is pure quiet suburbia all around there, Southgate, Oakwood, Arnos Grove etc. most places east of Enfield are really crap , Enfield itself is a bit livelier but seems to go a bit mental at the weekends and all the normal people clear out by 7pm .

Given the excellent train services from Enfield, I'd suggest Stoke Newington or Finsbury Park as being a good compromise between work and central, Wood Green also might be a bit more affordable but you'd still have to get a bus from Oakwood over to Enfield town.

A tube from Southgate or Oakwood to central london is still only 35 minutes or so, so not the end of the world, you have parks and the countryside practically on your doorstep and can rent more space for your money.

I quite like it up here, kinda miss the 24 hour pubs, constant scream of sirens and the ever present "crime scene : do not cross" tape that was life in Manor House, if you're not married, with a family etc you probably don't want to live out here unless you countryside pursuits are your thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Seeorr

+1 on Finsbury Park. Nice spot and good transport links.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Around Alexandra Park/Palace is nice, close to Wood Green for the Tube, there's a train line in to Kings Cross and just over the hill from Muswell Hill. There used to be a cracking little Irish pub run by a guy from Templeouge iirc called the Park Inn.

if you're a golfer, Trent Park is a good public course out that way, scene of my first ever sub 90 round.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

I live here at the moment (Bounds Green) and find it very quiet, affordable and pleasant area to stay. Plenty of shops, 20 mins from Kings X via Piccadilly line, and (for you) would be close to work.

Nothing like hopping from bed to work in under 15 minutes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I used to live in the area - used to work in the Woolpack pub!!
    Its lovely - quiet and handy for the piccadilly line.

Advertisement