Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tooth extraction still in pain?

Options
  • 16-03-2012 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

i had my tooth out Monday its was my upper right molar, its now Friday and i still feel like i have a light tooth ache, nothing serious but i'm still in pain and have to take pain killers for it.

Is this normal? One of my front teeth feels sore if i press at the gum but i'm not sure if this is causing the pain or were i got my tooth out

dentist checked all my teeth and said the rest were fine before i got my tooth out

if this is normal how long will i leave it if it doesn't get better before i go to the dentist?

and would i have to pay again if i were to get it checked and advice really appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

lisar816 wrote: »
    i had my tooth out Monday its was my upper right molar, its now Friday and i still feel like i have a light tooth ache, nothing serious but i'm still in pain and have to take pain killers for it.

Is this normal? One of my front teeth feels sore if i press at the gum but i'm not sure if this is causing the pain or were i got my tooth out

dentist checked all my teeth and said the rest were fine before i got my tooth out

if this is normal how long will i leave it if it doesn't get better before i go to the dentist?

and would i have to pay again if i were to get it checked and advice really appreciated!!

So many different possibilites here and would be impossible to say without seeing you....

You could have some post operative pain or dry socket or an infection or a piece of root left behind or a hole into your maxillary sinus or some coincidental pain from an adjacent tooth... The list goes on...

Best person to tell is the dentist who saw you for the extraction. Most do not charge for post-operative checks, I don't.....

Good luck,
    OS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

So many different possibilites here and would be impossible to say without seeing you....

You could have some post operative pain or dry socket or an infection or a piece of root left behind or a hole into your maxillary sinus or some coincidental pain from an adjacent tooth... The list goes on...

Best person to tell is the dentist who saw you for the extraction. Most do not charge for post-operative checks, I don't.....

Good luck,
    OS
    Thank you for your reply, if pain is not gone by tuesday i will give them a ring and get it checked out

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Just saw this thread. I had a tooth taken out on thursday. The roots on my teeth go very deep and the dentist had to put quite a bit of force in to taking it out. I have had teeth taken out before and although there was some pain afterwards it is just constant throbbing pain after this extraction. The hole that is left from where the tooth was taken out is a black/brown colour and there seems to be an odour coming from it as well. Could it be infected?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Just saw this thread. I had a tooth taken out on thursday. The roots on my teeth go very deep and the dentist had to put quite a bit of force in to taking it out. I have had teeth taken out before and although there was some pain afterwards it is just constant throbbing pain after this extraction. The hole that is left from where the tooth was taken out is a black/brown colour and there seems to be an odour coming from it as well. Could it be infected?

Sounds like a dry socket.

Best get it checked out by a dentist...

Dry socket usually resolves itself after running a 10 day course or so. This process can be accelerated and made more comfortable by having for dentist irrigate the socket and place an alvogel pack. If this is not possible- keep the area super clean with warm salty water rinses and corsodyl/ kin rinses, take pain killers as necessary... If however the area if getting more swollen or you are generally feeling unwell you may have an infection and will need antibiotics.

good luck,
    OS

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Sounds like a dry socket.

Best get it checked out by a dentist...

Dry socket usually resolves itself after running a 10 day course or so. This process can be accelerated and made more comfortable by having for dentist irrigate the socket and place an alvogel pack. If this is not possible- keep the area super clean with warm salty water rinses and corsodyl/ kin rinses, take pain killers as necessary... If however the area if getting more swollen or you are generally feeling unwell you may have an infection and will need antibiotics.

good luck,
    OS

Thank you

• Advertisement
Advertisement