Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Round Two!!! Christening Waffle....

Options
  • 16-03-2012 9:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

I only wrote a thread a few weeks ago that said no Chrisening did I do the right thing. I think of course I know i did but just wanted a little reasurance. Maybe because the people around me are making me feel like if i don t bring my daughter up to be Catholic i am a bad person. It only just came up again at the weekend, someone asked but you had a naming ceremony what does that mean? and what if your daughter wants to make Communion. What is the obsesion with Communion? why on earth would my daughter want to do it if shes not Catholic, I had had enough. To be honest if i was at home in England i would have no problem with laughing and saying PI** off! Knowing that the person who i said it too would take it as Ok its none of my business i will shut up now!! But here in Ireland its like i have to be so careful what i say as the wrong thing may mean that I will never get to talk to that person again. It is my partners friends who are doing it so a tricky situation.
    Anyway to cut a long story short i just found out..... I am Pregnant again!!!!
    I am dreading the Christening questions all over again! How on earth do i say mind your own business in a respect way to a Irish person!! Oh and I dont mean that about everyone , just the ones I am dealing with. I love Ireland but feel like I dont fit in because i am not catholic!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

bexstar wrote: »
    Maybe because the people around me are making me feel like if i don t bring my daughter up to be Catholic i am a bad person.

LOL
    IMO you're a bad person if you make the decision on what religion your child is brought up in. Who are you to make that decision on behalf of another adult? Especially now as you denying them any options when they become an adult.
    It only just came up again at the weekend, someone asked but you had a naming ceremony what does that mean?

What does it mean?
    It's a party, to welcome you child into the world and to introduce her to everyone.
    what if your daughter wants to make Communion.

What if your daughter wants to follow Mohammad, or Zeus?
    By then she will be seven.
    You will have explained different religions to her.
    You can give her the option of being baptized at that time.
    You should also give her the option of doing something she really likes to do on that day. See which one she picks. ;)
    What is the obsesion with Communion?

Peer pressure.
    Herd mentality.
    People not thinking for themselves and most likely all of them plastic catholics.
    But here in Ireland its like i have to be so careful what i say as the wrong thing may mean that I will never get to talk to that person again.

Would that be such a bad thing?
    Ireland, the country where everyone thinks your business is theirs and have the cheek to take offense if you have the nerve to tell them mind their own business.
    I love Ireland but feel like I dont fit in because i am not catholic!!!

I'm irish and an atheist. You think it's bad now, you should have lived here 30 years ago! ;)

There is so much you can do to get them to back off.

Here are some which come to mind:

You have no interest in supporting a church which abused so many children and hid the fact.

You feel you don't have the right to make that decision on behalf of your daughter. Once you sign up to the RCC, they will never let you go.

The bible says that if your daughter is raped, she has to marry the man. (You should read the bible btw - reams of ammo in that particular book!)

You consider God to be on a par to Santa and you stopped believing in both many years ago.

As far as I'm concerned, once someone starts interfering in someones elses religion, the gloves are off bexstar, don't be afraid to voice your opinions.
    Clearly, they aren't....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

How on earth do i say mind your own business in a respect way to a Irish person!!
    Grit your teeth. Then:

"I'm thrilled that you are so concerned about the religious welfare of my child and I'd like to assure you that we take religion very seriously indeed. If we need any religious input from a catholic perspective, I'll be sure to contact you. Thanks again for your kind concern. We really appreciate it."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Fair play to you, just point out to them that you don't tell Catholic parents to have naming ceremonies, thats their business!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 safarigirl

Thanks for the replys, it is important to me i have somewhere to Vent ! As i dont have anywhere else to go and my friends in England have no idea what it is like here!

Love it..... Grit your teeth. Then:

"I'm thrilled that you are so concerned about the religious welfare of my child and I'd like to assure you that we take religion very seriously indeed. If we need any religious input from a catholic perspective, I'll be sure to contact you. Thanks again for your kind concern. We really appreciate it."

Oh that it so funny, I can actually honestly say the person in question would love that answer and be waiting for the next time I consult them !

The bible says that if your daughter is raped, she has to marry the man.:(:eek: Wow that is Crazy!!! sick too:mad:

Yeah thats a good point i dont tell them to have a naming ceremony instaed of a Christening!!! Simple.

Will let you know it i do manage to take the gloves off !;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

and what if your daughter wants to make Communion. What is the obsesion with Communion? why on earth

if kids didnt get money and had to wear their school uniforms making communion hardly anyone would do it. its a day out to most people, nothing more.

• Advertisement
Advertisement