Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Xbox - will it work with Aus / NZ games

Options
  • 16-03-2012 3:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭

Are they compatible?

They're both PAL but I think they are still regonalised so that EU region 2 will not work with Australasia region 4.

Anyone any experience?

EDIT: I have no interest in knowing how to modify the xbox if it ain't legal or within Microsofts terms of use.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Are they compatible?

They're both PAL but I think they are still regonalised so that EU region 2 will not work with Australasia region 4.

Anyone any experience?

EDIT: I have no interest in knowing how to modify the xbox if it ain't legal or within Microsofts terms of use.

If the game has PAL on it and if your console is PAL compatible then it'll work, regardless of where you buy it.

Edit: also I decided to just do a search on google and most are saying alot of games are region free anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

did a bit of a search around too and it seems games are not restricted to regions 1-8 like movies So Irl PAL and NZ PAL are exactly the same. sweet :)

did a bit of a search around too and it seems games are not restricted to regions 1-8 like movies So Irl PAL and NZ PAL are exactly the same. sweet :)

Aye PAL is related to TV visual ability sold in those countries I believe. But it's even the case that some Japanese games not made for PAL TV's will work. There's a decent description on wiki when you search for PAL.

There is no regionalized games per-say like DVDs as you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

As mentioned there's no region with games.
    They are probably made in the same factory. And the two different leads added at the end

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Huh? Yes there is regions with video games. Theres no region 1, 2, 3 or 4 but there is PAL, NTSC, Secam etc. which are technically the same as regions. The games region must match the region of the console for it to work. Not sure what leads and TVs have got to do with this :confused:

Anyway, OP, I brought my xbox 360 and wii over back when I moved here, and they're both Irish pal region consoles. And yes, Australian games will work fine on your Irish consoles, as they are also region PAL games over here just like in Ireland. But beware, games are VERY expensive here. New games are about $100, so convert that!

• Advertisement

Huh? Yes there is regions with video games. Theres no region 1, 2, 3 or 4 but there is PAL, NTSC, Secam etc. which are technically the same as regions. The games region must match the region of the console for it to work. Not sure what leads and TVs have got to do with this :confused:

Anyway, OP, I brought my xbox 360 and wii over back when I moved here, and they're both Irish pal region consoles. And yes, Australian games will work fine on your Irish consoles, as they are also region PAL games over here just like in Ireland. But beware, games are VERY expensive here. New games are about $100, so convert that!

PAL, NTSC are not regions.

Edit: they aren't game regions I mean. Games don't have regions.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL

Both are very different.

PAL, short for Phase Alternating Line, is an analogue television colour encoding system used in broadcast television systems in many countries.

They do, most people consider them to be regions. Consoles have region restrictions or localisation formats, its not the same as region locked DVDs but its the same sort of thing.

Well here is a different wiki article than what you linked, explaining what I mean http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL_region

They do, most people consider them to be regions. Consoles have region restrictions or formats, its not the same as region locked DVDs but its the same sort of thing.

It's not the same sort of thing at all. Maybe you missed my edited bit.

irishmover wrote: »
    It's not the same sort of thing at all. Maybe you missed my edited bit.
    Read my edit then. It is though, technically probably not, but most people understand PAL, NTSC etc. to be the same as regions i.e. a USA xbox game will not work on an Irish region xbox console, the same way that a USA DVD will not work on an irish region DVD player.

Consoles have regional lockouts in case you didn't know.

Its the same sort of thing. Its just nitpicking saying other wise. We can agree to disagree and leave it at that then, but majority of people would understand what im saying.

DVDs are specifically locked to region because of copyright etc.

Games are not. The only reason why a game doesn't play in the US on a PAL enabled console is because of the specific TV in the US.

A lot of the NTSC games will play on a PAL console and visa versa. Whereas a DVD in region 1 won't play on a DVD player in region 2. Which is why they aren't similar at all.

• Advertisement

A lot of the NTSC games will play on a PAL console and visa versa.
    First time ive ever heard that. You can buy region free xbox games from play-asia, but that is the only place ive seen that. Ever other time, NTSC games will not work on a PAL console regardless of the make of TV.

Games are region locked due to copyright, piracy etc. also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

Aye PAL is related to TV visual ability sold in those countries I believe. But it's even the case that some Japanese games not made for PAL TV's will work. There's a decent description on wiki when you search for PAL.

There is no regionalized games per-say like DVDs as you said.
    You are partly wrong there. Years ago there was regionalised games due to 50hz/60hz tvs etc., but nowadays since were in the HD generation, this is pretty much a thing of the past. So now PAL NTSC and SECAM refer to if theres region locking on the game most of the time.

PS3 games are region free so their excluded and NTSC/PAL means nothing really with them, unless you use a very old TV.

Xbox games are mainly region locked now, where as PAL is UK/Australia/Asia etc. and NTSC is USA/Canada etc. and will not work if the console is not of the same regional format as the game. This has nothing got to do with the TV, but will not play and you will get any error message saying this game is not the correct region of the console for example.

But there is region free xbox games (microsoft left the region locking decision up to the developer) made by companies such as Ubisoft that are released worldwide that work fine on USA consoles, if your using a HD TV. But in places like Asia, they release most 3rd party xbox games as region free if you can find them, so many people get them imported. But ALL Microsoft first party titles are region locked completely around the world, so PAL games =/= NTSC consoles basically.

Nintendo still enforces region locking for ALL games though. So, USA wii games will not work on European nintendo wii consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think people are getting abut pedantic.
    It was stated very early I that games don't have the same regions as DVDs. And that they are both PAL format so they'll be fine.

Pal is a television region do there's no games specific region applied. Also, Xbox are region free. It's microsofts policy to let publishers to decide

Most Xbox games work on all versions of the console. Including Microsoft games.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-00-3-xbox360_compatibility_guide-49-en-84-n.html#list

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭multimate

Most Xbox games work on all versions of the console. Including Microsoft games.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-00-3-xbox360_compatibility_guide-49-en-84-n.html#list

most games are region free. just google the game name and region free and u will find out.

Advertisement